Is it just me? Idaho Elk Time to change?

Airgunner7

I've been hunting in the same Salmon Zone 28b for 7 out of 8 years. I see a few cows every year, saw one bull 4 years ago and buddy shot one that same year...not real high odds if you ask me.
I just got back from a 5 day and got the drop on some cows but, no bull. Like to blame the wolfs but have not seen any. Maybe it is time to try somewhere else or is this typical of public land hunts?
Out of 4 camps nearby only one had a bull.
My son did get his first small Buck this year , so that was a very proud moment.:)
I have gotten to know the area very well and so it is hard to try another, what do you think? Keep trying or move on?

I still have my buck tag to fill (passed on some forks already), for Elk I have to stay in that zone and have no one to go back up with so I think that is a bust.

I'd really like to do something more long range for deer this year and then maybe change units next year? Anybody got a good spot for long range deer in Idaho?
Sucks when your kids have school, your buddies are broke, and nobody has any time off. I am doing well, self employed ,and could go for a month...:rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me vent.

I drew a cow tag for the November hunt in 29 last year. We saw 5 different bulls in the first two days. We ended up with 2 out of the 3 of us in my party taking small cows. I really like the area down there. I live up in Northern Idaho, it's just totally different! You can actually see down there:) That was actually my first and only elk to date. Your story sounds pretty typical of my last 12 years of elk hunting. Believe me I'm not picky either! I like antlers just as much as the next guy, but really just want the meat. I drew an either sex tag for unit 1 this season and the only elk I saw were at the farm on my way up to my spot! We actually tried several different areas and got skunked! I'm starting to feel like I repel animals in general but especially elk!

Looking at the harvest rates 23% for 2011 and 19% for the two years before. Guess I'm not too far off having seen one bull, and I bet the outfitters with horses really change those odds for us on two feet. Getting clear of other hunters is a tall order on public lands.
I still love the challenge though. Elk are a lot smarter than deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.