Idaho-First Long Range Elk

cnebear

:) I took Shawn Carlocks long range shooting class last summer. I use a 300 RUM, 700 Rem stainless, 26" barrel LSS, 208 grn A-MAX, Niteforce NXS NPR1,3.5x15 scope. The class was great and worth every dime. This fall during Elk season I glassed some elk accross a canyon and ranged them at 890yds. I watched them for a while and was very aprehinsive of taking a shot even though the wind was calm. My partner told me that we cant get closer without being seen and why dont I use my class to good use.
So I laid down and got my rifle set up, got a good fit on a bipod rest, ranged the animal, dialed up my scope. My partner watched through the spotting scope and I said Im ready. I took the shot, aimed right behind the front shoulder about 10 inched low of the back. He told me that it was a one shot kill. I didnt get to see the animal fall due to the recoil. I did see it laying there not moving. When we got to the elk I had hit it right where I had put the cross hare. I was really in shock to think that it really happened.
If you want a confedence builder there really isnt a better one. The class paid off. I have sense bought another rifle just like the one I use and I am going to turn it into a long range shooter too.
gun)

Last edited:
It was the second day of either sex hunt and I opted for the meat and shot a barren cow without a calf. I even forgot the camera that day because who would think it would happen? When I got the cow back to camp it was almost dark and we had to get her hung and skinned to protect the meat, so the meat process took priority over pics. I did recover the bullet and it weighed 174 grns and its on the wall of my trophy room with my tag and a note of the hunt. You can bet next year the movie camera will be with me and my snapshot camera also. I was so excited and in shock, it had been 19 years since my last elk. I guess a 61 yo hunter shuldnt get excited but I was like a
10yo with his first kill.gun)

Congrats! I love hering success stories like that. Too bad about the pics. Good luck with your next hunt.
P.S. I still get as excited as I did when i was a kid at any range. Its what keeps us hooked, and willing to pour so much time and $ and practice into our sport and equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.