Is it 100 yards enough to check loads?

I agree that for the shooting the OP describes, a solid 100 yard performance that is at least a 3 shot, 1MOA group will be good to 300 yards. Use a 2.5" high zero and a high chest/on hair reticle placement on the deer between 200 and 300 yards. There are two keys to success. The first is practice, that gives you a shot to shot, and day to day consistency at 100 yards from the positions you plan to hunt from. The second is building the control and confidence needed to make the longer range shot should the opportunity present itself. IMO.

I want to get better at 100, while trying various loads. I'd like to take my best 100 load, and then use that for practicing farther out.

Maybe someday go out west for elk.

Core looks were had grouped a couple times touching. I was going back and forth.

Before this bench, I sighted in at 50 yards with a kitchen chair a bipod, with great group. 50 is not 100 though.

Can someone tighten a scope enough to damage it? I am worried about the wrong bases Cabela installed. After season will go back to 50 to check and practice.

Under 50 yards I would neck shoot deer, but I don't have that confidence right now.
Yes you certainly can. You can also do so if your rings are mismatched for height.

Now ya need to talk about scopes! But that's for another forum. :D

2 guns have VX2 2x7, and I just bought a VX3I 3.5x10. Extended my shooting lanes I thought it would be nice this year. But today I switched blinds, and 3 point walked by about 20 feet, and then a 6 point walked by 25 yards. Double long shot. Ran a bit. Because he was moving, I didn't find the blood, and had about figured I missed him. Lungs were mush.

Thick bush here, 100 yards can seem a 1000, when looking for dead deer. By the time I did find the blood it was dark, but lead me to him.

No snow. Coming this weekend.

2 guns have VX2 2x7, and I just bought a VX3I 3.5x10. Extended my shooting lanes I thought it would be nice this year. But today I switched blinds, and 3 point walked by about 20 feet, and then a 6 point walked by 25 yards. Double long shot. Ran a bit. Because he was moving, I didn't find the blood, and had about figured I missed him. Lungs were mush.

Thick bush here, 100 yards can seem a 1000, when looking for dead deer. By the time I did find the blood it was dark, but lead me to him.

No snow. Coming this weekend.
With leupod 3.5-10x50 you should be able to see better through the scope than with your naked eye at twilight. With the old VX-2's not so much.

True. Though I think the VX2s are good, I got them on 2 rifles and my muzzle loader. I just wanted something new. I also had a gun without a scope I haven't used in years.

My others are 2x7, for finding target fast. Though 3.5 worked pretty good. Few years ago ring was binding and stuck on 4 for the season, and got a quick one off. Though both were short ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.