Iron Curtain on Exports T/F

RustyRick

I've heard that the USA govt is working toward closing the door on all exports pertaining to guns, components, parts, everything that enables shooting machines.

Can anyone tell me if that's true?

I've been hearing rumors similar to your question but on other forums. Your best bet, IMO would be to check with the NRA. They usually have the dirt on what's going on in DC.

Do some research on ITAR. The range of products covered is very broad and it seems more gets added all the time. Not sure who is in charge of adding items, congress or the president ?

Has anyone noticed the warnings that Berger bullets are now subject to ITAR restrictions ?

For many of us who don't plan a trip outside the US this may all be irrelevant. But now you can't take your Berger reloads to Canada for example ? Or your Vortex scope, or the 20MOA picatinny scope base ? But a rifle is OK if you get the paperwork straightened out beforehand ? Its all pretty odd.

"Friendly" countries will still be able to get these items, since the manufacturer can prepare paperwork for an entire container load of the product, whereas if you or I wanted to "export" your scope or bullets to Canada for a hunting trip each item would attract several hundred $ of fees and permit applications and who knows how many months to get processed. And if you take one miss-step, you potentially go to jail...

I don't know if a coon hound or for that matter a lawyer could figure out the real letter of the law. I had friends come back to Canada from the SHOT show and our Canadian Border guys confiscated his WOODEN pistol grips.

I did contact NRA and they might get back to me?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.