Update on Two Firearm Bills in Illinois

cjmousseau

The Illinois Legislature will vote on two upcoming gun bills that aim to keep weapons out of the hands of children.
Gun owners could be held responsible for minors gaining access to their guns under legislation approved by a House committee Wednesday.
The measure would make it illegal to have a gun around any minor who doesn't have a Firearm Owners Identification Card unless the gun has a trigger lock or is disassembled. "It doesn't take away your right to own your weapon, use your weapon legally, etc., etc.," said state Rep. William Delgado, D-Chicago. "But it does protect the safety of children." The proposal was among two pieces of legislation approved Wednesday that took aim at state gun laws. The other would create a state licensing system for gun dealers. Both measures were heard in the House Human Services Committee, rather than in a committee that usually handles criminal matters.
"The deck was stacked against us even before we walked in the room," said Todd Vandermyde, lobbyist for the National Rifle Association.

Under the proposal, a gun owner could face under one year in jail and up to $2,500 in fines if a minor gets hold of their firearm.
The other measure creates a state gun-dealer license, which would be monitored by the state police. It is intended to curb illegal gun dealing and would be stricter than the federal licensing system. "This bill also would take into account pawnshops," said state Rep. Patricia Bellock, D-Chicago. "Currently, you can pawn a gun at a pawn shop and if I don't come back and give you back your money for my gun you then in effect sell my gun, but you're not a licensed gun dealer."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.