Iosso

How much or how many passes with an IOSSO patch is too much?
I've got a tight bore barrel that is either going to get faster, or become a jack handle.
Tomorrow I'm going to give it a run of Tubb bullets to see if it responds, and I want it spotless ahead of time.
I've never used this paste before, but I'm not ruling it out for other barrels.
What hot tips are out there?
I ran the tubbs final finish in my 300 win mag trying to accomplish the same thing, it didnt seem to make anything faster and I still max out 3-4 grains below max. Although, the tubbs do indeed make the barrel easier to clean and I did get a little more accuracy out of that gun.

If it's still rough after 250+ shots and 10 TMS bullets I'm going to ditch it.
Unless more TMS shots are very likely to help.?
I mean 90% chance

Totally agree with you that there is a point the barrel needs to go. I also read that Tubbs said to use caution with FF more aggressive grit bullets on higher end lapped barrels. I've got a Montana Rifle Company barrel in 300 WSM I'm using the finer grit bullets on . Barrel looks great but has lost some accuracy. Never was impressed with the chamber on this rifle. Thinking about having my gunsmith cut a couple threads off the barrel and rechamber it. Figured it was a good barrel to try some of the TMS bullets on. Or it may end up in the garden.

Do they not test fire the rifles before leaving the factory? Sure looks like carbon. Either way, it certainly is stuck on there.
Yes, but what was from firing was gone in a few swipes.
That black stuff came out all sticky like gum.
Here's the patch…

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpeg
    IMG_0377.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 40
Could it be carbon that has broken down?
I honestly believe it is left over from the button rifling process because the firing residue was on top of it. I have not found anything yet to remove it…
These 2 barrels are in 300WM & 7RM ( now 7STW ).
Shooting them also didn't do much, put 3 boxes of Barnes 165g/180g TTSX's through the RUM barrel, cleaned it and no real difference.

Cheers.

Yes, but what was from firing was gone in a few swipes.
That black stuff came out all sticky like gum.
Here's the patch…

Cheers.
Not sure what they use nowadays, but years ago, I thought they used molybdenum disulfide(?) in suspension. Your patch looks more like the cosmoline concoction my friend uses to undercoat vehicles.

Let us know if it ever comes clean!

I used the Tubbs Final Finish system on a Remington .308 and .223 blot gun with good results. Back then I didn't have a borescope so good is relative I guess. I think it works. I also used some "stuff" called Microlon Gun Juice. The instructions were to swab a patch with gun juice through a clean bore. Shoot. Clean. Patch with gun juice, shoot, repeat... stop when the the POI stops going up. I didn't have a good chrony back then but the POI definitely increased after every shot. I don't recall how many shots it took to stabilize.

Red Rooster / Vince Mule's cleaning method is pretty much what I've seen some BR and F Class guys use. Borescope is a must. Carbon definitely covers copper and it can be in layers.

Now if you'll excuse me I have yet another oil to find and purchase. I'm going to add another room to my house. Not a guest room... a rifle cleaning products storage room.

I've quit trying different products after accumulating different ones and finding what works for me.

I always start with hoppes saturated on a few patches, then bronze brush with hoppes for about 20 strokes counted one way. Then path that out.

Then I'll use sharp shootr accelerator on a couple patches then their wipe out foaming stuff. Let it sit 10-30 minutes then do the accelerator and wipe out again.

Then I'll wrap a large patch around a nylon brush, use a generous amount of JBs and spray a small bit of PB blaster on it. Then work the barrel. I'll use JBs until the carbon is all gone, which usually takes no more than 2-3 patches. This will take care of the throat and bore completely.

In worst cases I'll also have to use an oversized bronze brush with hoppes mounted in a cordless drill and spin the brush just in the neck of the chamber to get that last bit of carbon out of there.

It doesn't really take all that long after you get the process down and will work even if I've put several hundred rounds through the bore without cleaning at all.