IOSSO paste question

sewwhat89

I used IOSSO paste during the break-in process on a new rifle. Because this product has abrasive properties, is it similar to having the barrel lapped? I just cleaned it with three patches, and in my opinion that is unheard of to me in a factory Rem barrel. I am used to needing 5-10 patches to get it clean.

I use the iosso paste every other time I clean a barrel. I typically follow the recommended cleaning regiment given to me by Speedy Gonzalez which includes scrubing the neck area with a nylon brush and iosso paste.

The process, I believe, is posted somewhere on Benchrest.com.

Question that is probably stupid!When I use Iosso,the patch always turns black,or partically so.When the barrel is clean, shouldn't the patch be clean?When followed up with conventional cleaning,the barrel/chamber are clean.I have been told that with friction,the Iosso turns black?Thanks,Jimmy

It does seem like with the Iosso, you can never get it to come out completely clean. The main reason that I use Iosso with a nylon brush is to clean the carbon ring that forms at the neck. It also does a hell of a job on powder fouling that often gets overlooked.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.