Tooth Paste Trigger Job

redbone

Hay Guys This is An Good One .

The other day I was watching an T V show an they was Talking about 25 years ago this guy had bought an New Ruger blackhawk Pistol . An that He Took It apart An Filled the insides with Tooth Paste an Put It back togeather an worked the Trigger an tell The Trigger Snothed Up .
An He Called It an tooth Paste Trigger Job .

Have any one of you Guys did this Before . An did you use Speermint or Plain Tooth Paste ?

redbone

STOP! Do not use toothpaste. The flouride will seize up your pistol. This was a very acceptable process before flouride was introduced. Several gunsmiths, who made their living doing revolver action jobs, went out of business after this article came out. The acceptable practice, nowdays, is to fill the action with yogurt (no fruit) and work the action until smooth. This is called the "Smoothy Action Job".

Yogurt will indeed smooth the action, but due to the sugar content, you will have to floss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
db

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I had an old High Standard revolver that was built by Dan Wesson that I used to use to shoot compatition with. I did the toothpast trigger job with it. They made a toothpaste that had pumice in it to polish your teeth I guess. Never did brush my teeth with it though but it sure did do a good job on smoothing up the inside of that gun. Just keep pulling the trigger and every now and then add some more toothpast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I read an article about 20 years ago where the writer suggested mixing oil and pearl drops tooth polish to pack fishing reels. Attach a drill where the handle should go and run the fishing reel for about a minute to smooth up the innards. My guess was the reel would loose a years worth usage doing that.

I polish trigger parts with 1000 grit emery paper. doesn't remove much metal but makes them real smooth.

Is there some rubbing compound that would be fine enough to substitue for the toothpaste?

Just a thought ...

dwm

I think the toothpaste is as fine as would be needed. I have a customer, who repairs and builds pocket watches, who uses toothpaste to polish the crystals.
I would caution anyone using this "toothpaste" method to clean out the action thoroughly.

Swampfox,

When I was fishing tournements and using the ABU's I did that on a regular basis. I just used the cheapest tooth paste I could find that didn't have all the extra goop in it.

The idea was to just polish the gears enough that they smoothed out the machine marks. This was so that when using the worms and crankbaits you could tell the subtle differences in a pick up.

When I started participating in distant casting tourneys, there was a whole different bucket of tricks to learn.

As for using it on firearms, I haven't tried the toothpast, but have used some straight ground pumice mixed with some light weight grease. This did smooth out the trigger and action on a couple of rough wheel guns, but it was more of a mess to clean out than I thought it was really worth.

Try jeweler's rouge with the dremel tip that looks like the polisher your dental hygienist uses*. Unless, of course, your trigger needs to prevent cavities, be it's whitest and have minty fresh breath!

*I tried using the stuff an ex-girlfriend/hygienist used, but it wouldn't completely rinse out with Listerine. Did get rid of 99.9% of all the germs and stopped any gingivitis.

Merry Christmas - it's the reason for the season.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.