IOSSO paste question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sewwhat89, Sep 19, 2005.

1. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

I used IOSSO paste during the break-in process on a new rifle. Because this product has abrasive properties, is it similar to having the barrel lapped? I just cleaned it with three patches, and in my opinion that is unheard of to me in a factory Rem barrel. I am used to needing 5-10 patches to get it clean.

2. distantfoe

distantfoe Well-Known Member

I use the iosso paste every other time I clean a barrel. I typically follow the recommended cleaning regiment given to me by Speedy Gonzalez which includes scrubing the neck area with a nylon brush and iosso paste.

The process, I believe, is posted somewhere on Benchrest.com.

3. Jim Hundley

Jim Hundley Well-Known Member

Question that is probably stupid!When I use Iosso,the patch always turns black,or partically so.When the barrel is clean, shouldn't the patch be clean?When followed up with conventional cleaning,the barrel/chamber are clean.I have been told that with friction,the Iosso turns black?Thanks,Jimmy

4. distantfoe

distantfoe Well-Known Member

It does seem like with the Iosso, you can never get it to come out completely clean. The main reason that I use Iosso with a nylon brush is to clean the carbon ring that forms at the neck. It also does a hell of a job on powder fouling that often gets overlooked.