Investigation: talley screws too soft or receiver 's problem?

Get a #6-48 taper tap and chase the hole, then try a new screw.
Clearly, the tapped threads in the receiver are the issue since a new screw got effed up...
I will. Do you have any tip for when using the taper tap to do it properly? I never did it

The hole may be adjacent to the barrel tenon, causing the threads to hit there.
If the hole is above the barrel tenon, you may need a shorter screw.
If you can see through the bottom of the hole then look at the end of the barrel tenon for a witness mark left from the screw.
It's the rear base. Should be a thru hole.

I will. Do you have any tip for when using the taper tap to do it properly? I never did it
You need a plug tap to match, a tap handle and any light lubricant. Thread it into the hole like a screw. You should feel resistance about where your screw is getting damaged.
That should be the point you start re-cutting the bad thread in the hole. Back it out and clear chips on tap and hole about every half turn or less. If the tap abruptly stops and flexes, stop. Go see a gun smith. A broken off tap in the hole will be miserable.
Edit to add "to match" the screw. Not sure what this action is threaded for.

Last edited:
I would definitely call the guys at Talley. Whenever I've had an issue or wanted something specific done I've called them and had it taken care of they're a bunch of great guys down there I have never had an issue with the screws but I thought their torque on those were 20 inch pounds not 25 but I could be mistaken. I also use that purple loctite which is pretty easy to get it to come apart

I would definitely call the guys at Talley. Whenever I've had an issue or wanted something specific done I've called them and had it taken care of they're a bunch of great guys down there I have never had an issue with the screws but I thought their torque on those were 20 inch pounds not 25 but I could be mistaken. I also use that purple loctite which is pretty easy to get it to come apart
They literally told me 25. Unfortunately i live in Italy, for me Talley is very far away. anyway, i wrote them!

You need a plug tap to match, a tap handle and any light lubricant. Thread it into the hole like a screw. You should feel resistance about where your screw is getting damaged.
That should be the point you start re-cutting the bad thread in the hole. Back it out and clear chips on tap and hole about every half turn or less. If the tap abruptly stops and flexes, stop. Go see a gun smith. A broken off tap in the hole will be miserable.
Edit to add "to match" the screw. Not sure what this action is threaded for.
Sounds easy but i am sure i can mess it up pretty bad pretty easily ahah

Thanks a lot for the reply anyway

Hello everyone. I have just encountered an issue while mounting some Talley bases on my bergara b14 (rem 700 clone). Basically i installed the bases (talley 2 piece, aluminum) a couple months ago and the rifle was shooting very well. I didn't loctite the base screws down because i knew i could have had to swap the base screws in case i had some issues, so i just tightened them at 26 inch lbs (3 Nm), as Talley recommended me (they told me 25 inch lbs). Today i removed the bases to loctite them down and, while screwing off one of the 4 screws (the most forward one of the rear base), i noticed it was not clamping the threads (first time i screwed it on i didn't notice anything weird). When i removed the screw, there was some white grainy powder, like something coming from a chemical reaction, inside the threads and on the screw and the last part of the screw threads was stripped off, totally flattened. That's when i started doing dumb moves 😂
I cleaned the threads, inspected them with my phone camera and a flashlight and they looked perfect. So i just tried to screw the base back in with another talley screw of the same kind (the rear one) just to see if it would have been stripped. After not much force, with my 200 euros torque wrench (recently rechecked for being accurate), I started screwing on the screw. After a few turns and not even too much force, it lost all its clamping force, I took it out, the last part of threads was stripped/flattened, again. The other screws in the other holes worked just fine and, after torqueing them at 26 inch lbs and then removing them, they look perfect. So the problem is happening only with that specific receiver hole and it happened with two different talley screws.
1) what the hell is going on with that single receiver hole? Visually its female threads look perfect
2) what was that white gritty stuff?
3) why the first time i installed the base i didn't have any issue? Everything must be related to that white stuff.

I attach a pic of rhe screw i removed from the base the first time I unisitalled it, with flattened threads and the white stuff on it. And pics of the receiver hole giving me issues from all 4 angles. Threads look fine to me.
You said they told you 25 in/lbs not 30 in/ lbs. In any case it looks like some kind of glue was applied.

Hello everyone. I have just encountered an issue while mounting some Talley bases on my bergara b14 (rem 700 clone). Basically i installed the bases (talley 2 piece, aluminum) a couple months ago and the rifle was shooting very well. I didn't loctite the base screws down because i knew i could have had to swap the base screws in case i had some issues, so i just tightened them at 26 inch lbs (3 Nm), as Talley recommended me (they told me 25 inch lbs). Today i removed the bases to loctite them down and, while screwing off one of the 4 screws (the most forward one of the rear base), i noticed it was not clamping the threads (first time i screwed it on i didn't notice anything weird). When i removed the screw, there was some white grainy powder, like something coming from a chemical reaction, inside the threads and on the screw and the last part of the screw threads was stripped off, totally flattened. That's when i started doing dumb moves 😂
I cleaned the threads, inspected them with my phone camera and a flashlight and they looked perfect. So i just tried to screw the base back in with another talley screw of the same kind (the rear one) just to see if it would have been stripped. After not much force, with my 200 euros torque wrench (recently rechecked for being accurate), I started screwing on the screw. After a few turns and not even too much force, it lost all its clamping force, I took it out, the last part of threads was stripped/flattened, again. The other screws in the other holes worked just fine and, after torqueing them at 26 inch lbs and then removing them, they look perfect. So the problem is happening only with that specific receiver hole and it happened with two different talley screws.
1) what the hell is going on with that single receiver hole? Visually its female threads look perfect
3) why the first time i installed the base i didn't have any issue? Everything must be related to that white stuff.

I attach a pic of rhe screw i removed from the base the first time I unisitalled it, with flattened threads and the white stuff on it. And pics of the receiver hole giving me issues from all 4 angles. Threads look fine to me.
Re-tap the hole and try again.

I believe the screw is slightly too long for the front receiver hole and is impacting the barrel threads. File or grind 2 threads off the screw and it should fit perfectly. The white powder is dried Loctite - after you loosen the screw the bond is broken resulting in the debris. The powder will not hurt anything. Clean with toothbrush and brake cleaner. Hope this helps!

Fyi----Talley's web page says 17-20in lbs for ring screws and "contact rifle manufacturer for base to receiver torque"
Rifle mamifacturer said 30 in lbs, talley said 25 in lbs so i
You said they told you 25 in/lbs not 30 in/ lbs. In any case it looks like some kind of glue was applied.
No man, Talley told me 25 in lbs, bergara told me 30 in lbs, I followed talley reccomendations

Recent Posts