Intersting thought about bedding process , take a look

James Jones

I was reading post on another board about bedding the forend on the Encore series rifles and the the used of RTV was mentioned I instantly thought about how that might help with damping barrel vibreatios then another menber mentioned that he had a rifle (conventional bolt action) that was bedding in standard fasion then he bedding the barrel with RTV , using the process that would be used to make a pressure point in a gun so that when the weith was removed the barrel would have some downward pressure into the soft RTV , I can see how this would make perfect since in dampening the barrel vibrations.

I have also heard that some of the custom Palma guns have a "floating" or "soft" bedding for the action and the barrel is free floated?

anybody ever hear of this or try it?
what are your oppinions on it?

Browning rubber beds their BOSS equipped rifle actions. You can look up their patents which discuss the bedding as part of the BOSS 'system'.

Their barrels are free floated though.

I just had my Browning A-Bolt apart this afternoon and, as Mike mentioned, it has some sort of flexible bedding in it. Not as soft as RTV, but pliable. It's only bedded under the front lug area, though, nowhere else.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts