A question about bedding....

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
Hello,
I know everyone says to bed but let me explain first.... I have a custom build- Stiller, Timney, AICS, Bartlein barrel, SF brake. When I bought the AICS I was told by AI that the stock was "V block bedded" and didn't need anything. Just bolt it in and go. I have been having group problems with fliers and no matter who shoots it, it does the same. With all loads...
Is there anyway that a rifle groups in particular that is indicative of a rifle that needs bedding???
Thanks for your time.

What do the groups look like? Are the fliers consistently going one place and on a certain shot number (for instance, first shot, third shot, etc)?

BB, perhaps a check of action screw torque values (53 inch#) would help. Occasionally less or more torque is in order and they can loosen. Also check barrel temp and cool down during groups. Good luck

"Fliers" are difficult to analyze, even when you have the rifle in your hands. Where they occur in the shot sequence is one factor needed for analysis. Barrel channel clearance is another. Action screw torque, bedding issues, etc. all need to be considered. Though IMO it's a rare possibility, a "V" block that isn't perfectly plumb with the stock's' center line can create problems too. Even with "V" block support I like to bed the action, with emphasis on the recoil lug, to be certain I've eliminated every potential accuarcy problems that might originate with the action.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.