Interpreting load results...trying to find the sweet spot

Dan B

Had my XP-100 .250 Savage AI to the range yesterday to run through a series of loads. Wind was too bad for a true ladder at 300yds so I shot all my rounds over the Oehler at 100yds. Now I've never fired a ladder test and was not really intending to fire a ladder. Was more interested in just finding my max load then back off a little and shoot some groups. What I got was kind of interesting. The load spec's are .250 Sav AI, H414 starting at 37gr and stepping up .5gr at a time to 41.5gr. Bullet is 100gr SMK seated to about .010" off the lands. Belows is the velocity listing of the shot string.

1. 2545
2. 2564
3. 2569
4. 2570
5. 2643 ???
6. 2600
7. 2665
8. 2657
9. 2705 ???
10. 2664

Other than the ???'s the fps crept up at a nice pace...a little less than what I am used to seeing over a 4.5gr span though. Below is a pic of the group with the shots number and fps data recorded down the side. Not sure why shot #1 landed that far from the group...the bore was fouled and ready for group shooting. Also 4 and 5 fell out them the rest piled right in...could have been operator error w/ the 7X scope and blobby aiming point.

100_0437.jpg

Where would you start for further testing?

I'd load some at .2 gr from 39-41gr (loads 6-9)and see if there is a spot that looks promising in there. I suspect there is a node somewhere between #7 and #8.

Did you fire a fouling shot before shot #1 ?
If not, then you might try a reverse ladder and see if the results are the same.

100 yards may be too close for a real good decision on load development.

edge.

I seem to be in the majority here. Focus around #7 and #8 in .2 gr increments. Try try try to do your testing on very calm days.

I realize you were not intending on running a ladder but they really should be shot further than 100 yds. I always run my pressure ladder in conjuntion with my regular ladder.

Thanks for the replies...which kind of confirmed my thoughts. Last night I loaded from 40.1 to 40.7 in .2gr increments and will reshoot when I get the chance.

Another ?.....how many rounds at each step would you load?

One thing I've read on the fouling before you ladder is make sure you foul with the SAME powder and bullet you will be testing. Before that I would waste some other combo that I had loaded to test but never used, or maybe just a couple of cheap factory rounds to get her goin. But I guess that powders and bullets will foul differently, and when you start your test it is the same as shooting a just cleaned barrel, it hasn't been fouled for that powder and bullet. Maybe what you did anyway, just throwing that out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.