Interior Volume of Rifle Cases

Jim Lykke

I was on another sight the other day and they were talking about interior volume of rifle cases. And how the variance in interior volume from one case to the other makes a large difference in long range shooting. I can understand that a larger interior volume would absorb the explosion more and then affect the velocity, but you would think it might be a very small amount. I usually load Lapua cases for my 338, but I also have other brands. What do you guys think, is this one step over the top or not? I've been weighing water in various cases and there is a difference of several grains. I'll be experimenting with this problem in the future but could use your input to possibly short cutting the experience. (Life's to short)

It sounds like you're talking about brass cartridge cases?

Then are you wondering about difference in volume from one case to another of the same brand? Or are you wondering about the volume of one case to another of two different brands?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts