Interesting range tests with the 338 Allen Magnum....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, Went out this morning and did some more range testing with the 338 AM. I had tested the 350 gr ULD RBBTs previously and ran into the same primer cratering as in previous tests.

Well, after discussing things a bit more with Black Diamond 408, I decided to replace the very long striker spring in the BAT receiver with a very stout 32 lb Rem 700 spring. This required a spacer to be machined that would take up the extra space on the long BAT firing pin so it would work with the Rem 700 spring.

I had tested this setup with the 350 gr ULD RBBT and the primer cratering was significantly less then before, a dramatic improvement over the factory spring.

For this test I had the spacer on the front of the firing pin assembly which added its weight to the moving striker assembly.

For the test today I put the spacer on the rear of the assembly near the cocking piece. In this location is was not included in the moving striker assembly and lock time should have been decreased significantly as the spacer was made from stainless steel.

Loaded up some test loads using 151.0 gr H-50BMG Under the 300 gr SMK and seated them to just touch the lands at an over all length of 4.135".

First shot down a clean oily barrel showed significant cratering. Second shot pierced the primer as did the third shot. The average velocity was 3558 fps for the three shots and the group at only 100 yards was in the .2"s.

Still I was baffled by the return of the cratering on the primer. I set there and ran things over in my head and then got an idea to try. I ran back to the shop and pulled the bolt apart. Put the spacer back on the front end of the firing pin so it would again be part of the moving striker assembly and then ran back out to test the last three test shots I had loaded.

As with the 350 gr ULD RBBTs, there was still cratering but dramatically less then there was with the spacer at the rear of the striker assembly. Fired the last three shots and cut another one hole cloverleaf in the .3"s with an average velocity for those three at 3554 fps with an Extreme spread of 8 fps.

There was cratering but no danger of piercing at all.

This is however to warm of a load with this powder. Primer pockets were just beginning to loosen at this point and there was more of an extractor mark then I like to see. I think I will drop her down to 149.0 gr and call that max with H-50BMG. Velocity will be right at the 3500 fps level.

So why did the location of the spacer make any differnce at all in the primer cratering, well, in my opinion, its a simple matter of firing pin momentum. With the spacer at the rear of the assembly, its weight is not included in the moving striker assembly.

While the striker assembly may be faster, it will have less momentum when it strikes the primer allowing the chamber pressure to more easily push the firing pin back resulting in pierced primers at lower pressures.

With the spacer positioned on the forward end of the firing pin, its weight will be included in the moving striker assembly. While the firing pin velocity may be less, energy will increase as will momentum which seems to be enough to resist the chamber pressure forcing the firing pin back and limiting cratering.

Lock time does not seem any different although it has to be slightly slower but with the very stout 32 lb spring, I would bet its as fast as a standard Rem 700 which by most standards is still pretty fast.

I was a bit suprised at the results but it does make sense.

With the spacer in the correct location, +3500 fps is practical with the 338 AM and a 300 gr SMK. Bolt lift and extraction are effortless to say the least with even the 151.0 gr load level. Dropping the charge down to 149.0 gr will just add case life with no real drop in performance at long range.

With those six shots I got her zeroed at 100 yards so now I can take her out and test at long range. Will do so this week and post the results at long range.

Just thought some of you may be intereted in this test.

Have a good weekend,

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
So why did the location of the spacer make any differnce at all in the primer cratering, well, in my opinion, its a simple matter of firing pin momentum. With the spacer at the rear of the assembly, its weight is not included in the moving striker assembly.

While the striker assembly may be faster, it will have less momentum when it strikes the primer allowing the chamber pressure to more easily push the firing pin back resulting in pierced primers at lower pressures.

With the spacer positioned on the forward end of the firing pin, its weight will be included in the moving striker assembly. While the firing pin velocity may be less, energy will increase as will momentum which seems to be enough to resist the chamber pressure forcing the firing pin back and limiting cratering

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time you get through you will be ready for an honorary degree in Mechanical Engineering from the School of Hard Knocks.

Buffalobob,

Started into a degree in Mechanical engineering. Loved it but ran out of money which is a common problem now adays for school. That was many years back and now that I look back on it, it all worked out very well and for the best.

Building custom rifles is to me alot more fun the an enginerring job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

This stuff is fun to play with and figure out. Can certainly be frustrating from time to time but I have found that most problems are caused by very simple things that can be corrected with minimul problems. The real issue is finding out what is causing a certain problem. That can at times be a head scratcher but again, fun to play with.

I say that now that things are rolling in the right direction again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Whats not to love 3500 FPS with a B.c of .8. I don't know if even you can top that one. Speed kills and B.C rules out to 1500 yards that gun should kill like lighting. I have to say Im really impressed . Well done

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.