In's and out's of selling primers, ammo, and brass

If it gets going let me know,I may be interested in being a customer,depending where you at in Colorado. I support the VETS any way I can. I am in Laramie WY always up for a road trip!

Insurance: Lockton Affinity through NRA
Sales Tax licenses: 1) Colorado 2) Colorado Springs, (Colorado Springs is a home ruled city and have their own sale tax license) so you need both.
FFL: Class 01 or class 06 for reloading.
Store front to be safe.
Hazmate certificate if planning on shipping powder or primers. Ammo just needs a black and white hazmate triangle shape sticker. (Available from Uline)

I'm no expert but I know a guy that sells ammo at a flea market and gun shows in the state of Tennessee and he don't need a license to do so but then again he don't sell a lot so it's best to check with local and state laws for all the ammo part and the hazmat license is a huge part in that I was also looking my self at getting my own ffl reading about it seem easy but I'm waiting to talk to individuals with one maybe they can shed more light

I'm sure he can get them-
How so?
I know you're not "investing" in terms of $$, but I'd want to see a business plan before I'd put any significant amount of time into this.

As Shortgrass said, the major players like PV can't get much stock. Seems odd to me that this "friend" can get to front of the line.
I'd press for more info on his "connections".

I'm not at all involved in this side of the trade, but do receive a trade mag monthly that's for FFL's and consensus is that current conditions will continue for this year.

According to Hodgdon, this is not an issue with supply- they're manufacturing more than they ever have.
It's "US"- the hoarders that piling up cases of powder that would last them for years, the scalpers looking to profit on GB- on top of already increased demand due to millions of new shooters.

This was a year ago, but you'll find it hasn't changed today. The hoarders need to chill out- they're not helping anyone, including themselves.

How so?
I know you're not "investing" in terms of $$, but I'd want to see a business plan before I'd put any significant amount of time into this.

As Shortgrass said, the major players like PV can't get much stock. Seems odd to me that this "friend" can get to front of the line.
I'd press for more info on his "connections".

I'm not at all involved in this side of the trade, but do receive a trade mag monthly that's for FFL's and consensus is that current conditions will continue for this year.

According to Hodgdon, this is not an issue with supply- they're manufacturing more than they ever have.
It's "US"- the hoarders that piling up cases of powder that would last them for years, the scalpers looking to profit on GB- on top of already increased demand due to millions of new shooters.

This was a year ago, but you'll find it hasn't changed today. The hoarders need to chill out- they're not helping anyone, including themselves.

He's not buying powder-- I'm not convinced he can get any of the "major" brands of primers yet either ( cci, win, rem)--- but I know he can get ammo ( but as I said, it's from an importer-- so at this time I'm going to assume it's all steel cased fmj import stuff until I see otherwise) --- I would assume his primers would be imported too but that's just an assumption.

If guys can get stuff and sell it on Gunsmoke, why couldn't my friend get it? I'm assuming he's going to jave to pay a premium and then charge a premium but again- until I hear more that is just an assumption.

We hope to hear more unfo this week as he's been out of town

He's not buying powder-- I'm not convinced he can get any of the "major" brands of primers yet either ( cci, win, rem)--- but I know he can get ammo ( but as I said, it's from an importer
Primers are harder even to get than powder. And that's primers by any maker. The majority of available brass is of the 'premium' variety. I'd not look for much steel cased FMJ to be coming from Europe any time soon. There will be no 'surplus' to buy. Seems to me, it's might late to try to jump into the 'party' at this late date.

Last edited:
I would speak with the National Rifle Association. They have staff that can get your Freind in touch with the right people who have all the answers on what license and laws a ammo dealer needs to follow. Their is both state and federal laws involved and I am sure they have experience with this question. MD

Insurance: Lockton Affinity through NRA
Sales Tax licenses: 1) Colorado 2) Colorado Springs, (Colorado Springs is a home ruled city and have their own sale tax license) so you need both.
FFL: Class 01 or class 06 for reloading.
Store front to be safe.
Hazmate certificate if planning on shipping powder or primers. Ammo just needs a black and white hazmate triangle shape sticker. (Available from Uline)
Unless something has changed in the last three years the NRA and Lockton are now divorced.

They are still in the business but no more affiliation with the NRA.

OIG has picked up a lot of that business so you may want to contact them for a quote.

Update

Well- finally got to see some of his inventory and prices he paid------

Which is why I hesitate to do business with "friends".

His "importer friend" basically screwed him as far as I'm concerned. He got 3 kinds of import 9mm, some 300bo (125 match), 56gr 223 fmj, 223 green tip, 22lr, and some import 00 buck-----

BUT I can go onto ammoseek and buy almost everything he bought at anywhere from 3 to 10 cents per round cheaper. I'm sure he will sell it all over time as people are paying stupid prices but it's not for us. I feel bad for him as he feels that his "friend" not only screwed him on price but also received overstock that couldn't be sold as easily....sounds like he didn't do his due diligence.
As far as primers and brass go-- they are available but he's not buying anymore unless his pricing comes down. ( and yes, I was right- the primers are pretty much no name import primers)