input on caliber choice for remington 700 sps SA, opions appreciated!

backwoods83

I just aquired another remington 700 sps buckmaster.
List of parts coming are Shilen #7S 6mm 8 twist blank, badger recoil lug, CEG fluted bolt with M16 style pinned extractor, callaghan speed lock firing pin assembly, jewell hvr, Wyatts box, B&C A2 olive drab w/ web.
Question is what caliber, want to be in the lands with a max length of 3.010" after some mag and reciever mods, I usually single feed, but decided I wanted to do a repeater in case I don't like it and want to sell it, also do not want to spend 500+ on comp or custom dies.
it is a standard bolt face .473, I've been pondering 243ai, 6xc, 6mm dasher, 6x250 ai 40*, and I like the idea of a 6x25wssm but would have to switch bolts and find a reamer and die set. Any options, opinions, input much appreciated, to many choices. Oh and max of 3100 fps with 27" finish length and 105-107 grainers. Thanks.

Thanks Dan, I really like the idea of a 6mmAI but I'm not sure if the magwell will allow it.

I've used Wyatts' boxes on the 6 AI, but, they were shooting 87-90g bullets. Not sure 107-108g would fit and feed. I've got a 6xc I've been breaking in and am impressed with that little round (less capacity than most you mentioned). Just been breaking in and shooting for accuracy, I haven't checked it for speed or ES, yet (got less than 40 rds. thru it so far). 3100fps might be right at the top end for that round. The Dashers look interesting, but, ya' gotta' fool around fire forming cases.

Yeah I'm kinda leaning towards the 6xc or the 6x250AI david Tubb the designer or the xc says he gets 3020fps with a 107smk 40.5grns H4350 in a 26" barrel with no pressure, but I'm hoping someone may have something I haven't heard of that grabs my attention. Thanks for the input, glad its doing well for you.

I just aquired another remington 700 sps buckmaster.
List of parts coming are Shilen #7S 6mm 8 twist blank, badger recoil lug, CEG fluted bolt with M16 style pinned extractor, callaghan speed lock firing pin assembly, jewell hvr, Wyatts box, B&C A2 olive drab w/ web.
Question is what caliber, want to be in the lands with a max length of 3.010" after some mag and reciever mods, I usually single feed, but decided I wanted to do a repeater in case I don't like it and want to sell it, also do not want to spend 500+ on comp or custom dies.
it is a standard bolt face .473, I've been pondering 243ai, 6xc, 6mm dasher, 6x250 ai 40*, and I like the idea of a 6x25wssm but would have to switch bolts and find a reamer and die set. Any options, opinions, input much appreciated, to many choices. Oh and max of 3100 fps with 27" finish length and 105-107 grainers. Thanks.

I'm going todo a 6BG. Basicly like a 6/250AI but with a 30 degree neck. Shoulder deminsion is 1.550, and case length is 2.04. With a .33 neck length. You can use premium .243 cases to form the round, and the recommened parent case is a .243 Lapua. It will push a 107 grain Sierra to 2990 using 42.8 grains of RL22. Of course you could do the samething with a 6mmAI reamer ran into the barrel short, but it's easier to headspace it off a standard .300 Savage "Go" gauge using the 30 degree neck length. Case capacity is small enougth that it works well with a 24" barrel length, but a 26" would be better. The Hornaday manual lists the 105 grain bullet at 3000fps for both the .243 and 6mm. I know that the 6mm's I owned were good for 3100fps (pretty hot), and about 3160 with a very old lot of Remington .257 Roberts parent cases. These held about 1.5 grains of water more than the newer 6mm cases. That's also pretty much what a shooting buddy of mine got out of his .243Ackley (3100fps). So you get similar velocities with a much much longer barrel life, and probably better accuracey.
gary

Thanks Dan, I really like the idea of a 6mmAI but I'm not sure if the magwell will allow it.

Hornaday lists the C.O.L. of their 105 AMAX in the .243 as 2.63, and 2.81 with the 6mm. I just pulled a couple 6/250AI rounds that are loaded with 105AMAX bullets. The bullets are about .004" off the lands, and the over all length from base to tip is 2.662. I think the 6/250 or the 6BG fits the bill perfectly!
gary

Yeah I'm kinda leaning towards the 6xc or the 6x250AI david Tubb the designer or the xc says he gets 3020fps with a 107smk 40.5grns H4350 in a 26" barrel with no pressure, but I'm hoping someone may have something I haven't heard of that grabs my attention. Thanks for the input, glad its doing well for you.

I can't see Tubbs getting those velocities without going to a 30" barrel in the 6XC. I believe the 6/250AI will go 3100fps at a maximum load, but with the short neck it's gonna be hard on barrels (as I've kinda hinted).

Another interesting combo I've been around is the 6-.284 .100" short and the .200" short. The two guys I know shooting this one say they might have lost 75fps, and about 125fps with the one that is .200 short. That would be an easy one to build and get working dies for. All you need to do is shorten them.
gary

Sorry if this seems picky, but every rifleman should know the difference between caliber and cartridge. Since you have a 6mm barrel your caliber can be 6mm and nothing else.

What you are asking about is cartridge choice. Again my apologies please but the confusion makes your request for input misleading.

Thanks for the info gary, I may do some checking on knocking the 284 back .100", sounds like a screamer, and the 284 case design it just flat out accurate in all wildcats I have seen. Hey varmint911 what are you confused about, simple question, I have a 6mm/.243 cal blank, I was looking for some ideas of cartridges that can hit the lands and fit in a 2.995" mag box, I like getting opinions I know there is a 6x45, 6x47, 243wssm, 6xc, 6br, 6dasher, 6x250, 6x250ai, 6x, 243, 243ai, 6mm, 6mm ai, 6x284, 6-06, 6-06ai, 6wsm, 240wby......... I was looking for different options like gary mentioned like the BG or the 6x284short, something a little different, if your still confused I don't know what to tell you.

And yes smartass I know the difference between caliber and cartridge, and technically its a 6.17mm but your probably another wise *** that thinks a 30 cal is a 7.62mm because of the 308win being called a 7.62x51nato but its actually 7.82mm, don't try to school me you knew what the hell I meant.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.