Info on DPMS LR .260cal?

TacticalHits

I am looking into a long range semi-auto rifle and really like the Panther Arms .260cal long range rifle. My cousin has the same rifle in .308 and it shoots very well! Is the .260 a good long range caliber? I am planing on reloading so I can use high bc bullets. I also would be able to do a few factory add-ons to this gun when I ordered it. What is the actual target distance a .260 will shot? Thanks Nathan,gun)

Here is the info on it.
Description

Barrel:
24" Length
416 Stainless steel bull barrel
6 grooves, right-hand 1x7.5 twist, button rifled
Chamber:
.260 Remington
Method of Operation:
Gas operated rotating bolt
Bolt & Carrier:
8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec
Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec
Sights:
None (mounting optics only)
Weight:
Empty - 11.3 lbs.
Length:
43.6"
Upper Receiver:
A3 style flattop
Thick walled, extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum
Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
Dust cover
Shell deflector and forward assist machined as one unit
Right hand ejection
Lower Receiver:
Milled from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aluminum
Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
integral trigger guard
Aluminum magazine release button
Standard AR-15 trigger group
Stock:
Standard A2 Black Zytel Mil Spec w/trap door assembly
Handguards:
Standard length ribbed free float tube.

Each Rifle comes with 2 - 19 round magazines, 1-Nylon Web Sling, and 1-Cleaning Kit

If you have one or know anything about these it would be very helpful!
images

I have shot the same weapon in 308 and was impressed with it , it functioned well and was verry accurate for an out of the box gas gun. as for the 260 i shoot on in a custom bolt gun and ballisticaly it beats the hell out of the 308. I shoot 140gr Bergers out of mine at close to 2900fps and its giving close to the same drop and windage as a 300 win mag with 190gr Sierra Match Kings with less recoil than the 308 !! On targets i would say it will make a 1500 yd gun and i killed a deer this year with it at 944yds and would not think twice about shooting one at 1200.

I would certainly get a new butstock for it , the Magpull sniper unit is very nice. If your gonna reload for it (which is pretty much a must do to get all the good out of the 260) I would get either an adjustable gas block or an adjustable gas tube , they are cheap and make a huge differance when tayloring handloads

For what it's worth I've read great reviews on the DPMS 308's on guntests.com and gunblast.com. I'm considering buying a LR-308B with the 18" barrel. I like the shorter overal length with that barrel and it'll still shoot as far as I would ever want to.

The 260 looks like a really great round on paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.