DPMS 260 issues?

This started in September with a NEW rifle. We have never used any ammo other than factory Federal and two kinds of Remington. The rifle was returned for repair. It came back doing the same thing. (see previous posted brass photos) The gun was returned again in October. They still have it. September soon to be December. Rifle deer season come and gone. The bad part is, weeks ago they said they were shipping it today. Maybe today hasen't came yet :rolleyes: . My goodness, why add lies to the issue.

Sorry boys, they may have made some good rifles. But they obviously made some bad ones too. You would think when they have a new rifle owner with a problem it would get some attention. Give him a new rifle for gods sake and melt the peice of crap that you can't fix.

I will keep you posted on what happens, but I can tell you this. I am less than impressed with their customer service and their product.

Jeff

No rifle back yet. But it was supposedly shipped a couple times weeks ago. Last call the computers were down at DPMS and they could not check on it.

I hope my friend gets his new rifle back and it is repaired correctly. He has been a very understanding customer.

Jeff

I hope it all works out for everyone.

Thanks teddy12b, We received the rifle back and also was able to comunicate with the smith at DPMS. They just polished the chamber again and we are hopeful but really don't see how this will fix it. We will be testing again soon.

I have also been talking to some smiths that work on AR type rifles all the time and they tell me this is a common design flaw with this rifle. They say the problem is the location and size of the gas tube. It is actually starting to disengage and rotate the bolt before the bullet exits the barrel. The bolt turning with high pressure still on the brass is the cause of the chewed up brass.

The problem can be made better buy using lighter bullets that use faster burning powders. Or the correct fix is to install an adjustable gas port and larger volume gas tube on the rifle and fine tune the amount of gas and tube fill time.

I will keep reporting just in case someone else wants to fix their DPMS rifle if it has this problem too.

Jeff

I am having problems also with a DPMS product and they don't seem to give a crap about their customers. I have sent a number of emails and all they say is send it back send it back instead of a listening to the real problem. I really am beginning to think that DPMS products are junk.

This here is a Zombie thread, and many of the pictures are gone, however if anyone is having problems like these with Swipes appearing at the extractor hole and smearing as the bolt is rotated out of battery take heart, the problem can be fixed....

The problem is positively overpressure. Brass flowing into the ejector hole can only happen when cases are exceeding their pressure limits. In many cases this is likely attributed to Reloads. The platform timing does not allow for unlock prior to safe chamber pressures, and excessive gas can marr cases and cause FTF FTE however Swipes are overpressure.

In this case, since the problem persisted with two different boxes of factory ammo, the chamber is the likely suspect. Headspace was likely appropriate since it could chamber factory loads at all, however I would wager that the throat was too short, since the forward assist had to be used to seat the rounds, likely pushing the bullets further into the case causing over pressure. Either that or the neck diameter or length was incorrect causing a "crimping" effect.

I don't how this turned out, but overall the components DPMS makes are usually regarded as pretty good.... i have heard of chamber issues in their guns from that 2007-2008 time period.

A turd is a turd, however the platform is designed well and should allow the home gunsmith to turn out a really accurate gun without much drama... likely a barrel swap could have cured the problem (DPMS should have realized this the first time they polished the chamber, Someone likely just dropped the ball as the market was a little nutso in 2008)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.