info on buijlding a 700 remington 7mm into a 1000 yd gun

matt wagoner

looking 4 any info on building a remington 700 7mm into a 1000 yd gun. any and all info will be greatly appreciative.gun)

Hey Matt,
Welcome to the forum! Your question is pretty vague. I'll answer anyhow. The 7mm (you don't say which, so I'll guess the 7rem, doesn't matter much) caliber is easily 1000 yard capable. You want to shoot a high BC bullet, like Bergers 180.

The rifle needs to be consistently accurate. The basics are a solid stock, bedded action, free floated barrel, and tuned trigger. There are all kinds of options after this depending on the level of accuracy and customization you're after. I would include a muzzle brake.

The scope needs a couple features.
  • High quality rings and mounts. A 20 MOA base will allow you to use more of your scopes elevation adjustments.
  • Good turrets. I like exposed turrets because I lose caps and exposed turrets are always much more rugged.
  • Parrallax adjustment. This can be an adjustable objective or side focus knob. The side focus knobs are much easier to reach while shooting.
  • Enough elevation to reach 1000 yards. All the long range models have enough.
  • A good reticle is a nice feature. Choose a scope that offers a reticle in the same configuration as the adjustment knobs. IE, MOA or MIL. A fine crosshair is a good fall back reticle.
  • Good options are Nightforce NXS, Leupold mark 4 and vx3, Vortec PST's, and Bushnell elites.
You need good ammo. Most of us handload and tune our ammo for accuracy and tight velocity spreads.

A good bipod like the Harris S series and a rear bag are how I do 90% of my shooting.

This covers the basics enough to start your education. Good luck and welcome!

grit, thanks 4 the reply.just wanting to build a nice long range hunting piece.i have just bought a remingtin 700 7mm rem mag. i am wanting to build from the ground up.i want to build the best i possibly can! just want to try to make all the rite moves from stock to the best i can afford& with enuf time i should be able to do just about all to the full exstent. stock,barrell, scope,trigger,bed, the whole 9yards. just bare with me please i am new to the game and dont even know all the lingo or even what a lot of all the talk is about on here .but willing to learn and excited about stretching way out there!!!gun)

Start with a 20MOA rail, rings, and a scope such as one of those already suggested.

Get some premium factory ammo, and see how it shoots at 100, 200, 300 yds. If it shoots well at those distances, then after about 500 yds, you're going to want hand loads.

Keep reading and asking questions. This website is an excellent resource.

Don't feel compelled to turn loose of all your money too quickly. There will be plenty to spend it on.

Welcome aboard!
Richard

thanks guys 4 all the insite im in no big hurry.willing to take the time to do it riye the first time.going to do my homework thats 4 sure. what is yalls opinion on blueprinting ?

Re: info on building a 700 Remington 7mm into a 1000 yd gun

Matt,
It really depends on your goals and accuracy requirements. If you're happy in the 600 yard neighborhood or one minute of angle (at long range), you can do a lot without truing. For utmost precision, it's a key component.

My shooting evolved like many others. I started with factory rifles, started improving them myself, soon all my rifles were semi-customs. It didn't take long to want more accuracy, more consistency, more reach. I have seen the limits of each type of build with many rifles.

Long range is about precision. There are stages. 300-600 yards is the simple stage. 1000 yards requires a lot more precision, better rifles, and good loads. Beyond 1000, things really start to show.

For me, long range hardly starts until 1000. My rifles are full customs, trued actions, or custom actions, with superb barrels, stocks and triggers. 1/2 minute accuracy is a minimum expectation. 1/4 - 1/3 minute is typical. At long range, I have a system.

My rifle is as accurate as it can be. My ammo is tuned to the rifle, to shoot tight groups with minimum velocity spreads. My scopes are tested. My trajectories validated. I use rock solid rests, and hone my shooting techniques, and doping skills constantly. The result is awesomely accurate systems.

You can play the game at any level. Progressing through each phase, as I did, is probably very beneficial, and educational. I wholeheartedly endorse action truing. But, it's part of a full custom. I would not true an action without screwing a custom barrel on it. Nor would I screw a custom barrel on a factory action without truing. I have built several semi-customs that were superbly accurate. That said, the difference between a tuned semi-custom and a tuned full custom is usually dramatic at every step.

barrel is most important . krieger. you can save a little by getting the burris rings with the plastic inserts. you should only need 10 moa to get to 1000. adjust the trigger if it is not to your liking get a timney, jewel or a shilen. stocks vary more depending on what you like and want to spend mcmillian are great. other too. all my mags have vais brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.