info on 7mm rum

paulmoney

can anyone please tell me what they think about the 7mm rum is it an accurate case and is it hard to load for ,thinking about one for long range deer hunting with 150 scirrocos.
thanks
paul

I am shooting a Rem 700 7RUM. I dropped it in a HS stock but did no other alterations. I have only worked with the 150 ballistic tip so far and IMR7828SSC. I am getting sub .5" groups at 100 yds every time. I would say that it is capable of as good of accuracy as any other large case.

I have heard that max pressures can be reached with a small increase of powder at the top end but I didn't have any apparent problems at 3400 fps in a 26" tube. Maybe I didn't push it high enough for problems.

The 150 BT performed suprisingly well for me on a shoulder shot at close range, not what it was designed for. I have not used the Scirroco but have heard mixed reviews about the Scirocco II.

Hope this helps. You might also consider the 160 gr Nosler Accubond. It comes highly recommended.

Paul, i had a 7rum last year and i wasn't very happy with it.i found it finicky to load for, the velocities changed quite a bit with cold weather and accuracy was inconsistant.i can't totally blame the inconsistant accuracy on the caliber but the overbore condition didn't help either.i have a 33 caliber now and after shooting it this fall wouldn't consider a smaller caliber for long range.

Paul Dave stated some true info. The 7Rum can be finicky to load for with certain bullets. I have never used the swift's in my stick but obtain .5 MOA accuracy to 600 yards with Barnes TSX 140's and 160's, Accubond 140's and 160's, 168 SMK's and 169.5 Wildcats. The Accubonds were the hardest to find a good load for in my stick.
My rig is a factory sendero with the exception of bedding and trigger.
I have some load info posted on here if you end up getting one.

for some reason I have had better luck with the 7mm stw over the rum. In my experience it is a more inherently accurate case and you can achieve close to the same velocities. just my opinion though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.