info on 6.8 wsm ptg chamber?

bjork

can someone give me some basics on what this chamber was designed to improve upon vs the 270 wsm? would it require custom dies or could i use 270 wsm dies? to my eyes it appears to be a 270 wsm case with the shoulder pushed back and shorted a bit. possibly designed to keep the ogive of vld's out of the case mouth in a short action? thanks.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 141
Appears to have a fair bit more freebore than saami spec for say a 170 Berger bullet seated out a bit.

i have a fn tsr wsm action. the internal mag box is a hair over 3" if memory serves me. i have 8.5 twist blanks on hand. also a 9 twist.

Sounds like its modeled after my SS case
Just buil an ss and have better brass thats head stamped.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

useful in a short action? would it hose me if i was running some 110 tsx rounds as well?
The Bergers arent depth sensitive so even id it doesn't seat all the way to lands I'm sure you could get it to shoot well still. 8.5tw will work with the 170s, I've never shot Barnes bullets, other than the match burners which are jacketed not mono, so I'm now sure how they function in fast twist barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.