338-08 Any info on this chambering

Dave King

Anyone out here have any info on the 338-08. I'm toying with having one built to shoot the 250 and 300 SMK. I'd us the standard 308 Win case and just expand the neck for the lare projectile.

Any guess as to the velocity achievable by the 300 SMK in this configuration, 26" barrel.

would make a nice subsonic round , have reasearched on the subsonic rounds and built one with 7.62x39 17.5 step gain
twist to shoot 240 smk efective 150-200 yds.lots of quiet fun

Probably much slower than .338 Win Mag. Would make a good close range deer rifle with some of the flat point bullets!A friend has a .338 Gibbs 24" barrel that approaches 338 win mag vel.

The one I loaded for was built for feral hogs and had a 24" barrel. I don't have the data anymore (been a couple of years since the fellow started loading himself) but I might be able to get some. From what I recall, 250 Gamekings, and a 250gr bullet from speer both went 2425-2450. Pretty sure that H4831 and IMR 4350 gave the best results. Ill make a couple of phone calls and see if he still has the rifle. I don't expect that he has used the 300smk though. The 250SGK flattens hogs so well we never went heavier, and this fellow is not a long range shooter by any means.

Great, thanks for the info on the 250's. If you get a chance any additional info would be great too.

Ok, im not sure where in my head the H4831 came from, but the IMR 4350 was for a 275gr load for a lead bullet, so well disregaurd it for now. The speer bullet was a grand slam. The 250s went between 2300 and 2370. Ive got some data that runs from H414 up through the burnrate to BL-C(2) that he thinks he still has from the origional workup. He says the loads he is using are the same loads that we origionally developed. The best 3 were Vhit N135, AA 2520 and IMR-4064. he isn't sure on the charge weights, and said he'd call with them this evening after work. Ill post the charge wts when he calls. If you want the other data, ill see about scanning it... provided he can find it. Just a few pages I scribbled down during development. Nothing fancy.

Dave, Rich or some of the guys at Sierra should be able to help you with this.Infinity shows data for the .338/06 might be helpful?

You know Dave you got me thinking. I'm now looking at a 9.3-08. the 9.3x62 i'm using for the pigs at the mo could be alikened to a 9.3-06, as the cases can be formed from 06 cases. So i'm figuing a 9.3-08 would be a fairly easy wildcat to cater for and wouild be pretty good as a short range deer and pig round, especialy through a moderator.
Pete

[ QUOTE ]
How could the loading data be all that different from the .358 WINCHESTER?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its really not.. but with one exception. Youve got to go to a slightly slower powder with the same weight bullet since youre using the same case volume, and bullet wt. but a smaller bore diameter. The data that I developed for the rifle I was loading for was developed by starting with 358win data.
Im still waiting on the phone call... ill post when it comes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.