info needed on smokless build

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by longrangeshooter1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. longrangeshooter1

longrangeshooter1 Well-Known Member

Here in a month or two im going to be building a smokless muzzleloader on a rem 700 action. What barrel to go with, what twist, hows the recoil,and 45 or 50 cal?

2. nctta

nctta Well-Known Member

I'm digging my 25" 45 cal PacNor 1:20 twist. A lot of guys shoot 1:22 twist in the Pacnors and McGowens also

3. a1smokepole

a1smokepole Active Member

For low recoil the 45cal is the best I have a pacnor barrel on mine #7 contour 45cal 1-22 twist 25in barrel. shooting sabots its great but for sabot less its a little work resizing bullets to fit. but shoot good when you have it sized right.

4. baranx4

baranx4 Well-Known Member

try dougs muzzleloader message board.

5. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Well-Known Member

Go to Doug's message board and contact Luke.
    He owns Arrowhead Sporting Goods, and can hook you up with everything you need.

6. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

I'm using a 1:22 twist, 26" PacNor. I wish the contour were a bit lighter, the thing shoots lights out but is quite heavy.

You can go faster with the twist, but last I followed development there really aren't any bullets out there (despite development efforts) with higher BC than what we have now, requiring 1:20 or faster.

What do you plan to use for your priming system? I do not recommend you use the plug style which uses shortened cases in the existing bolt. They are prone to gas-cutting the nipple that the case presses onto when forces against the plug by the bolt. Once that happens -- and it doesn't take much -- your $80 plug is shot. I've been there, and converted to a newer 209 system.

7. nctta

nctta Well-Known Member

PacNor made mine using the 700ml barrel contour and is lighter than the "DD" standard contour. Also, shooting the Parker Match Hunters sabotless the 1:20 performs better than the 1:22 I also have.

8. wadevb1

wadevb1 Well-Known Member

My "hillbilly" build. Remington 700ML with a .45 Pac-Nor Sendero tube. Slings 275 grain Parker MH into small groups at 300 yards.

As another poster mentioned, dougsmessageboards is the source.

Attached Files:

9. Sparkman10mm

Sparkman10mm Well-Known Member

How did you do in Ontario?

10. wadevb1

wadevb1 Well-Known Member

No blood on the smokeless. Turned down one decent eight only because I had enough venison in the freezer. Trail cameras had two bruisers cruising the plots nocturnal. Was hoping one of them made the mistake stepping out early.

11. longrangeshooter1

longrangeshooter1 Well-Known Member

What are you guys using for a priming system?

12. a1smokepole

a1smokepole Active Member

In the rem 700 ML using the hunter bolt nose kit and a savage breech plug I us CCI 209M primers.

13. killahog

killahog Well-Known Member

I am using a 1-22 twist Pac Nor Duplexing the powder and getting 2700 fps with a 195 Barnes . Longest kill 275 yards . Longest shot attempted 275 yards. The gun is so accurate I wouldn't even consider shooting a none trophy class deer that's within 100 yards, anywhere except the noggin. I am also using the Savage standard breech plug and nipple with a 209 Primer.

14. Tnsavage

Tnsavage Member

I went with the mgowen barrel because I didn't want to fool with sizing bullets for the pacnor. I love mine its my favorite gun by far and it looks awesome its stainless with hs precision stock sendero contour barrel fluted by twited barrel. Only thing is I wish I had a muzzle brake on it cause it does pack a punch. Ive only got to shoot it out to 300 but I can put them in a 2inch circle all day at that range using 275 MH.