Bear Medicine needed

shorty

I'm booked for a Black Bear hunt the end of August this year. I'm going to take

My Remington ML,the area I'll be hunting is Manitoba, just North of Winnipeg.

Have been using Triple seven powder and primers under 250gr Hornady sabots.

Anyone have suggestions for a better bear load? Max load with the Remington says

150gr triple seven. Any and all help appreciated.

I assume you mean the Hornady SST??

I think that I would go to at least the 300 grain version or the Bonded version. The ballistic tip opens very fast and you lose bullet mass quickly...IMO.

edge.

Edge, That is right, I was using the SST's. Sorry about that, My body was home from work
but obviously the brain went elsewhere.
I will check them out, the bonded one sounds like a winner if my gun will shoot it well.
Thanks much. Shorty

I'm booked for a Black Bear hunt the end of August this year. I'm going to take
My Remington ML,the area I'll be hunting is Manitoba, just North of Winnipeg.
Have been using Triple seven powder and primers under 250gr Hornady sabots.
Anyone have suggestions for a better bear load? Max load with the Remington says
150gr triple seven. Any and all help appreciated.

Bonded bullets would be a very good idea to ensure maximum penetration on a decent size bear. I also ASSUME that the 150gr charge that you are referring to is 150gr of 777 pellets. A 150gr grain charge of loose 777 is well over the maximum charge of any muzzleloader that I know of. A 120gr charge of loose 777 provides about the same velocity as 150gr of pellets.

The whole ML propellant industry needs to get their act together because there is a considerable amount of confusion regarding maximum recommended charges of the various powders with sticks, pellets, loose, etc.

Varmint Hunter, Yes I was using the pellets. Am new to muzzle loaders, received this one
as a Christmas gift, used it during our late season, but passed on a couple small does since
my freezer was full of venison already.
I've been having a great time out in my pasture with this gun, but haven't tried any load
development yet, will be getting to that shortly now that warmer weather is here.

Amen on the standardization for BP replacements, easy to see how a dangerous mistake could be made, Thanks for the heads up!

Shorty

SNIP

The whole ML propellant industry needs to get their act together because there is a considerable amount of confusion regarding maximum recommended charges of the various powders with sticks, pellets, loose, etc.

That is why I built my custom muzzleloaders to shoot smokeless powder, where legal :)

edge.

Shorty

One of my muzzleloaders is a 50 cal Rem and my two best loads
for hunting are = 120gr 777 with a 250 gr Barnes Expander MZ and
a 250gr Tipped MZ for game larger than 300lbs or tough skinned
like wild hogs.

Both of these bullets retain allmost 100% bullet weight every time.

One suggestion though , Unless you are using hot primers like the
209 shotgun you may experience a missfire in cold weather, so I would
recommend using loose Tripple 7 insted of pellets.

Everthing I have shot with these two loads has dropped in there tracts
and accurace is a consistant 1.5" 100 yrd group and on my better
days around 1".

Ether load would be good for Black bear

Good luck and have fun
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.