"Inexpensive" scope on an inexpensive rifle

Litehiker

I have had a Ruger American Predator rifle in 6.5 CM for a while and no scope because I was busy getting my Ruger Precision Rifle set up for competition.
Also I was having "paralysis by analysis" with so many options in my "under $600." budget.

Finally I narrowed my options down considerably when I decided that I wanted the basic features found on my Bushnell ERS, namely FFP, mil/mil turrets and reticle and a side parallax knob.

What I was able to get for that budget limit was an SWFA 5 - 15 x 42 scope on sale at $100. off for $537. including shipping.

I like the scope's glass a lot, especially considering the price. The power ring is stiff but doable with its included lever. The patented mil reticle has diamond shapes for every 5 mils and 1 mil hash marks in between. Very easy to use. The turrets are 0.1 mil clicks with no "zero set" feature. (For the price something had to be sacrificed.)

I've discovered that SWFA scopes give you a lot for the money because they avoid big advertising campaigns. I've never seen a SWFA ad - ever.

In case you're wondering where this company came from it is the company that took over the former TASCO line, jettisoned the low end scopes, kept the "Super Sniper" that had been developed for a Navy contract and then went on to fill out their line with moderately priced scopes that have good quality.

So now I have a good scope on a good rifle and neither made me reach for my home equity checkbook. Yeah, I'll likely upgrade the Predator with a Timney trigger and a Boyd's laminated stock but both of those are "moderately priced" as well.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.