In search of performance

hammer111

I have a tikka t3 7mm08, with rl17 .47 grains. With nosler 130 grain ballistic tips. Shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yards. At 200 a 1 3/4 drop and 1 1/2 groups. 2.80 cartridge length. It was cold and a little windy. I know this gun can do better. Is there a better bullet I could use.

Yep any hammer bullet.
Every one I've used has shot great groups no matter load or jump.
In fact my creed has never shot any load of them more than .5" 100 5shot groups

IIRC the Tikka T3 7-08 run a 9.5 twist barrel. That will exclude the higher bc long bullets.

Not sure if this is for paper or hunting.

I would look at the Berger and Sierra Match Kings in the 168 gr. They usually only need faster than 10tw.

For the hammer hunters you would need to stick to the 131gr HH. You might be ok with the 143 depending on elevation.

Watch rl17 as temps go from cool to warm. The vel pressure can jump enough to push you out of a node and over pressure as well.

4350, vv n550, varget are popular. Lapua brass 210m or br2 primers. If your after accuracy over vel there are some good powders out there.

I always turned necks so I necked down sized 308 lapua match brass. Wanted to try palma brass but I gave the gun away to a good friend.

Watch rl17 as temps go from cool to warm. The vel pressure can jump enough to push you out of a node and over pressure as well.

4350, vv n550, varget are popular. Lapua brass 210m or br2 primers. If your after accuracy over vel there are some good powders out there.
Good info above, your twist is good for 140's so I would suggest nosler accubonds ,good for hunting and target shooting. Now I noticed you never mentioned distance off lands, if you have your distance to lands figured out have you done a ladder test of how it shoots at various distances? This is a group maker or breaker finding that sweet spot and then doing fine powder charge tuning, and trying different primers as well. Fine tuning can change group size in a gun dramatically sometimes takes a little time for the gun to show you what it likes. Dave

I had 1 very bad experience with Nosler 140 BT about 25 years ago in my wifes 7mm-08 it splashed on the hide and after 6 hours of tracking I finally got the deer.
Initially let it lay for 2 hours so it would expire, I really didnt know how poor the bullet preformed untill I finally got it.
If you a Nosler fan and not shooting past 500 the Partition worked very well for me in several rifles.

I have a tikka t3 7mm08, with rl17 .47 grains. With nosler 130 grain ballistic tips. Shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yards. At 200 a 1 3/4 drop and 1 1/2 groups. 2.80 cartridge length. It was cold and a little windy. I know this gun can do better. Is there a better bullet I could use.

After testing many different bullets and bullet weights, I found that the 7/08 did a better job on game using the 120 grain ballistic tip. The 120 Ballistic has a heaver jacket and velocity in a better performance range. The 7/08 AI does well with the 140 grain Accubond at velocities around 3000 ft/sec. If Nosler made a 120 or 130 grain Accubond I would have to try them.

The velocities are above 3000 ft/sec and do very well @ distances of 5 to 600 yards. Accuracy has been great in all of my 7/08's using H 414 and Varget. H 414 has been the most accurate with groups holding below .100 with Varget running a close second with velocities over 3100 ft/sec.

My 7/08 pistols like the 150 grain ballistic tips and has dropped 3 deer beyond 500 yards. (My self imposed limit with a pistol).

I also have had the best accuracy using CCI Br2 primers.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Great advice thanks. I have no idea about the lands. The bullet is out as far as it can go.

I started with 140 with 42 grains of rl17. Didn't like the groups, same with factory ammo in 140.

This the best it's shot so far , with the current setup. So by dropping 10 grains hoping groups tightened up. Im thinking by going to 120s might be better.

Really don't want to change powder until I use this up. Right now I'm shooting paper to develop a good load to hunt with.
I'm reloading 4 different calibers so I'd like to keep it simple.

120gr Ballistics tips are a great option but my favorite is the 139gr SST, an awesome killer for this cartridge, both group sub half MOA on my 7mm-08's and really easy to find a load for.

I jave not used RL 17 but looking at the reloading manuals with the 139gr SST you'll provably get it to or over 2,800 fps and the 120gr just above 3,000 fps. Both are good out to about 550 yds but the 139gr will have 200 more ft/lbs than the 120 gr, 1,000 ft/lbs vs 800, heavier would be better if you are shooting that far.

Hope this helps

120gr Ballistics tips are a great option but my favorite is the 139gr SST, an awesome killer for this cartridge, both group sub half MOA on my 7mm-08's and really easy to find a load for.

I jave not used RL 17 but looking at the reloading manuals with the 139gr SST you'll provably get it to or over 2,800 fps and the 120gr just above 3,000 fps. Both are good out to about 550 yds but the 139gr will have 200 more ft/lbs than the 120 gr, 1,000 ft/lbs vs 800, heavier would be better if you are shooting that far.

Hope this helps
Ok thanks. Right the club range is only 200 yards. Once I'm dialed in I'm going to longer ranges.

Well after 1 1/2 hours I found 120gr nosler ballistic tips at midsouthsupply. Website after website were out of stock for every manufacturer. 7mms 120 gr8 bullets must be very popular. I came across several Websites that had shooters saying how good the 120s shoot. So we'll see.

I used those 120 bt in the past and 130 Speer, both for blacktail deer. Bt's shot a little better. Last year tried some 120 Barnes ttsx and they were nearly in one hole out of my rem700 MTN rifle. Used the same load as I did with the noslers. 46g of Blc2.

I'm usually a heavy for caliber fan but I've had great luck with the Barnes 120 TTSX and IMR 4064. Great accuracy and always gets an exit wound but deer usually bang flop. Not really a long range choice however. Good luck!!

I used the 7mm 140 ballistic tips this season. 3 bucks were killed with them...none exited with shots tucked up behind the shoulder. 130 yards was the furthest. One never took a step and the other two ran 40-50 yards.

I've bought some 120's to try next season but only because I prefer an exit. Where I hunt is mesquite country so the two that ran I didn't see fall...so I'd prefer a blood trail.

I used those 120 bt in the past and 130 Speer, both for blacktail deer. Bt's shot a little better. Last year tried some 120 Barnes ttsx and they were nearly in one hole out of my rem700 MTN rifle. Used the same load as I did with the noslers. 46g of Blc2.
Couldn't find them anywhere, in 120.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.