In need of better optics

shortshooter

I almost pulled the trigger on a Bushy 6x24 with 30mm tube for my new LR hunting scope. Kind of glad I passed on this.

Just ordered a new Leupold MK 4 for a friend and as unused it's back at Leupold being repaired in its unused condition. Nasty canted reticle in the Leupold.

It is difficult to find anything out there for less than $2000 that really works as a long range riflescope.

Although I hate to spend the $$$$$ I honestly am looking at putting the money towards an S&B or Us optics unit.

Can anyone give me yeas or nays on the US OPTICS SN-3 and SN-9 units. Its a large investment and I want to get this right the first time.

Thanks.

I hear you. Sometimes it does feel that way, and you sure can't go wrong with a S&B or US Optics. I wouldn't mind a couple of each myself. ;)

But I do think you can find a scope that "works as a long range riflescope" for less than $2K. I can understand if you've soured on Leupold, but there's still IOR and Nightforce. While they may not be equals with the first two in every aspect feature for feature, they certainly "work."

Of course there are some that won't be satisfied with anything less than the first two. And that's fine. Use what you like, what makes you happy. After all, that's what's most important.

Sorry I can't offer much info on the USO as I haven't made that plunge yet. I can tell you if I spec'ed out an SN-3 with all the stuff I wanted it would be a lot more than $2000. And the S&B would be even more. But they would be nice. ;)

I have looked at IOR and will reconsider them again. They are very sharp and clear optics on the IOR. But I really am looking for a total package.

As for Leupold, I really like the L-series and have an old Vari-x III 3.5x10 that is a good scope. Other than that, I am extremely disappointed with Leupold quality control and the overall product for price paid. IME the LRT series is a way overpriced ho-hum line that isn't worth the $$$$$.

Around $2400 for the USO and even more for the S&B. But they have what I want.

I do have an 2.5x10 S&B that has beeen a good unit, only trouble is that this scope doesn't have the high adjustable turrents that I need. It's more of a regular hunting scope. But man is it built and clear.

So it's narrowed down to S&B, USO and IOR. Let's see what happens.

Look at the Nightforce NXS scopes, I think you will be real happy with one of these on your rifle.

Around $2400 for the USO and even more for the S&B. But they have what I want.
Yeah, me too. And so I went without for the longest time, just couldn't justify that much money. The but with the latest 3-18 IOR, they've finally given me what I want for less than many Leupolds:

PICT0116.jpg

Depends on what it is you want. For me, FFP, 0.1 Mil clicks, 100 click per rev elevation knob, best reticle I've ever used...better low end and high end than my 4-14...in that compact package with IOR glass (today I was seeing bullet holes at 300 yds in gloomy light on 6X!)...it wasn't a hard sell to me at that price. ;)

So if I break it and they stop making it or if for some other reason it was no longer an option, I would have to get a USO or S&B. I'm spoiled now. :D

If I had to do that tomorrow, I think I'd go with a S&B 4-16 for the size/weight savings (for a carry hunting rifle) over the SN-3 3.2-17 though they aren't much and the IOR beats them both in that regard. The 3-12 S&B is a much nicer size and that's really all the magnification I'd ever need for hunting...but for 1500 yd plinking, etc, I'd find myself wanting more power.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts/preferences. I really like this thing. I guess I'm a bit giddy I didn't have to cough up the cash for the S&B or USO and finally got everything I wanted. Actually, in some ways (size, elevation knob) it might even suit me a bit better than the more expensive alternatives. I'm so glad they finally gave us another choice.

Did I mention I like this scope? :D Oh, and it's reticle is straight. Collimator verified. ;)

Jon,

Nice looking piece of optics. IOR 3x18x42. Is this a newer model? Haven't seen this one yet. Where do you purchase the unit that you have?

I think that I will try the IOR like yours and the USO SN-3 and have what I want. Just please tell me where to go for that new IOR.

Thanks

I got it from:

Scott Berish, Liberty Optics LLC
Phone: 352-572-1469
Home: 352-401-9296 (6:00 - 9:00 p.m. EST only, please.)
Fax: 763-431-5015
Email: [email protected]

It's the new FFP "Snipers' Hide Edition." There are lots of threads about it over there if you want to read more about it. Scott was a big help in making this scope happen, he'll know what you're talking about. There may be a waiting list for them still, Scott will let you know.

Thank you Jon. That is a big help.

One of these and a USO as a stablemate should keep me satisfied.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.