In Bad Need of Brass!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Dennis Sawyer, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dennis Sawyer

Dennis Sawyer Well-Known Member

Im wondering if anybody would know if its possible right now to find 7 STW Brass? I just had a beautifull gun built by Defensive Edge and cannot find brass for it anywhere. I did find some nosler 8MM remmington Mag brass but am not familiar with necking down brass. Does it have to be done in stages or can I just stick it in the die and do it in one pass. Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Good luck! You ain't the only one huntin STW brass.

If you find any Nosler STW brass, please shoot me a PM, so I can purchase a box or 2.

3. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

If you can get 8rem brass get a couple of hundred while you can. The 8rem IS the 7stw's parent case and shouldn't need anything other than light lube to neck down to 7mmstw in a regular FL die. If you were going down from 375 H@H you would have to do a mid step at 30 or 338 but the 8rem should be good in one pass. You also won't really need to fire form as you would for the 375.

I was picking up 7stw brass just a couple of weeks ago at the local shop; they are out at present though.

4. farout

farout Well-Known Member

5. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

8 mag case with just one pass through your FL 7 STW die and you have your case. No big deal.

6. MudRunner2005

Can you reform & reshape the necks with a neck-sizer die, or will you have to use a FL sizing die for turning 8mm Rem brass into STW?

7. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

i just gave away a whole bunch of stw brass i had sitting around. i had no idea so many people needed it...

8. MudRunner2005

Damn........I sure could have used it. Mine have been loaded and shot so many times, they're splitting 2/3 of the way around about 1/8" up from the belt. LOL

9. Dennis Sawyer

My experience with Bruno's is that if they have the arrival date following the part description they dont have it yet. I have tried to call them to see if they actually have it and their lines are always busy. Wish I had known this was going to be such a problem... would have been stocking up sooner.

Thanks, Dennis

10. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas Well-Known Member

Everybody's mentioned the 8mm Rem Mag, but there's actually quite a few cases you can use for this. The 300 H&H, 375 H&H come to mind immediately, but there are several others as well. Should be able to find one of these without too much trouble.

11. Lefty7mmstw

Yep, I've shot a lot of stw's head stamped 375h@h. It takes an intermediate necking step and a fire-form.

12. Dennis Sawyer

Thanks for the info. I would think the 300 H&H would probably size up as easy or easier than the 8mm Rem Mag. I will definitely keep my eyes open for those. Thanks again...

13. Lefty7mmstw

I was just on Midway's site and they do have some loaded ammo in 7mmstw for sale; I know it's not as cheap as rolling your own, but you will end up with proper headstamp brass when you are through with them.