Improving the 308 Win performance

Alpha SRP has 55.9 H20 capacity on fired case.
I already did...but here it is again.
Lapua palma brass 56.0 gr H2O
Sig bi- metal case 57.5 gr H2O
Still working on whether or not I like the Sig bi-metal hybrid case.

"Formal lingo" ...LOL... You just failed your apprenticeship on day one. Trying to help you sound more professional...learn? No, your ego has overwhelmed you, with the macho man image, "spun it up".. all by myself..
cannot take any constructive criticism.
Spinning alot of "yarn."
A professional can always tell...
I don't think preforming gun work for others is acceptable to the ATF guys. Without a FFL license, specifically for the work you intend to do. ...especially if you charge a fee. That changes everything...like drop in trigger if the gun is for resale...ya need an FFL. They make the law vague so they can entrap you...so the best way to stay out of trouble is to have a conversation with the ATF... they are vague on purpose, but can give you some guidance.
There are several types of FFL licenses, you may want to check into it. And you must keep extensive records on every gun related sale. Plus they do not need a warrant to check your records and record keeping ...any violation is serious. You can teach a person how to assemble an AR, but you can not do it for them and ya can't charge them ...as you then become a gun manufacturer.
I could instruct a 10 yr girl how assemble her AR.
But here state laws say she can not be in possession of the gun until she is 21...the law has a "wacky," flaw a 12 yr old can hunt big game with a hunter safety certificate. ..but new law says he can not be in possession of a firearm.
Possession of firearms has a 21yr old limit now..thanks to all the school shooters. Forget LR shooting at game no electronic devices such as laser range finders of any kind, leave your Krestrel at home, when big game hunting. Plus all the other hassles too numerous to mention. Be safe get an FFL...that's a hard lesson to learn, if ya don't...and they object to your activities.
Golly-gee schucks heck-fire! Either you do not know how to do be funny, or you are a bit prickly today. I was just lathe-ing around and mill-doin' when I came across your post. You have a few burrs around the edges of your work your own dang self.

I take it that you did not "run" your diatribe past a college English professor. I hope your machine work "outshines" your grammar/writing style, which can use some heavy "polishing."

I could go on and on, but no one would read what I would say. I reckon the other guys on this thread will suggest that you get up tomorrow and imagine yourself as a novice machinist helping people from your garage and someone wrote those posts to you.

And BTW, the ATF can not enter and search your home without a warrant unless you DO have an FFL. Here in Texas a minor child can possess a firearm while hunting in the presence of an adult.

Take about eight aspirin, get a good night's sleep and wake up in the morning and write something nice to someone.

Any errors in this post are the direct cause of the computer trying to write for me.

Golly-gee schucks heck-fire! Either you do not know how to do be funny, or you are a bit prickly today. I was just lathe-ing around and mill-doin' when I came across your post. You have a few burrs around the edges of your work your own dang self.

I take it that you did not "run" your diatribe past a college English professor. I hope your machine work "outshines" your grammar/writing style, which can use some heavy "polishing."

I could go on and on, but no one would read what I would say. I reckon the other guys on this thread will suggest that you get up tomorrow and imagine yourself as a novice machinist helping people from your garage and someone wrote those posts to you.

And BTW, the ATF can not enter and search your home without a warrant unless you DO have an FFL. Here in Texas a minor child can possess a firearm while hunting in the presence of an adult.

Take about eight aspirin, get a good night's sleep and wake up in the morning and write something nice to someone.

Any errors in this post are the direct cause of the computer trying to write for me.

Thank you for your response.

For the record I do AR barrels for TX JRs high power team from Shilen donated blanks. Kids, the future of 2A, get their barrels for free. It is my community service.

Last edited:

Restore your AI communications, for a more palatable conversion. I tweek the man to improve his status, and expect him to learn the correct Terminology for machining so he appears more professional. Which I expect he will.
Helping young people experience the 2nd Amendment is great if it can be accomplished in your state.
But more importantly are the statements and photos presented here, with no FFL as stated. And I urged him to get an FFL.
Heard of probable cause warrants, for suspicious unlawful activity. And if they catch you in a lie over anything presented, it's up to 4 yrs in the federal penitentiary.
With an FFL they do not need a warrant. But it shows you tried to comply if you have one and talk reasonably to them, trying to comply with their demands. It may not be that expensive if to cover your firearm activities.
You are lucky to live in Texas as he stated, here everyone now need a Firearms Purchasing Permit from the state to purchase any firearm. The permit has to pass through the county sheriff, who will charge a minimum of $50 but he can charge any amount he wants like $500 to cover cost as you also have to show the sheriff you are proficient with a firearm at the police range...wait times have stretched over 90 days to buy a bolt action rifle or any firearm. Complaints about wait times, as the governor instructed the State Police to slow walk gun buying permits....then they expire. And ya have to repay fees if you haven't purchased your firearm. Every firearm traceable, every single one background checked, no exceptions, can't give a gun away without a background check... plus a whole host of laws passed, like 21 yrs for any pistol or AR, locked up or you're responsible for the damage the firearm causes. Plus some more in the courts. West Coast states are trying to out do each other on how to crush your 2nd Ammendment. I believe Washington St and its Governor introduced a Bill to outlawed AR 15s in the state, for new purchase and you can not sell the ones in circulation in the state or pass them on to your family they will be destroyed upon your death. I do not recall if it passed, they want to be the first to ban the AR.
Just a friendly warning every state is not as firearm friendly as Texas, but they too have to comply with ever changing Federal laws and regulations...and this federal government does not like gun ownership in any form... and the courts are not standing up for your rights....
Have a nice day, ...maybe we can talk about guns, loads, and shooting next time. But this is a serious situation that may turn grave in the near future. So enjoy your shooting activities while ya can.

Interested George Clooney GIF

What the actual.....

For me, I love the 308. Oh, there are newer and prettier cartridges out there, but you can't knock nearly 70 years of performance. Good ole 30-06 junior.

I got three. CVA Cascade, SIG Cross and a Ruger SFAR. CVA and SIG love 165 grain Nosler Accubond over 43.5 grains of Varget. SIG runs .5 MOA and my inexpensive little CVA (with a Bergara barrel, mind you) .2 MOA. Average velocity for the CVA is 2663. Can't get a velocity on the SIG as the handguard runs the length of the barrel and I have the Magnetospeed chrono that attaches to the barrel. Not enough barrel to attach it to.

SFAR is seeming to be a bit more picky. Got a .7 MOA with 175 SMK and 38 grains of Benchmark. It is a lower target load I worked up for a buddy's AR-10. I went out this weekend with about 4 other load combinations to test, but just not enough time. I did test the 165 Accubonds with IMR 4895. Not impressive groups and was getting pressure marks at 41 grains. I have some 165 grain TGKs with A-4064 I am hopeful about as input is that is a good powder for gas guns.

As you can see, I am more of a hunter than a target shooter. Otherwise, it would be SMKs all day long. Or, Nosler CC. They have done fantastic out of my 6.5 CR. Hmmm, reminds me, I may need to get some CCs in 308.