improving action

PEEWEE69

Ok got a new never fired Remington 700 lss in 270 trying to get the most out of it without having to rebarrel . I know pillar bedding, free floating the barrel, and trigger job other than that can any machine work be done to the action without replacing the barrel

Ok got a new never fired Remington 700 lss in 270 trying to get the most out of it without having to rebarrel . I know pillar bedding, free floating the barrel, and trigger job other than that can any machine work be done to the action without replacing the barrel

You're attempting to have your rifle to shoot better not improving your action ... truing the action is the only way to "improve the action" ...

Quality Gunsmithing, Knife Making, Fabrication, and Design by Lonestarfab.com

and from one of the site sponsors ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pGn9qWJIM9M#t=12

You're attempting to have your rifle to shoot better not improving your action ... truing the action is the only way to "improve the action"

I do relies this but to my understanding to have the action true and blue printed I'd have to replace the barrel trying to save a little money on this one . I was wondering if anything could be done without replacing the barrel at this time

You're attempting to have your rifle to shoot better not improving your action ... truing the action is the only way to "improve the action"

I do relies this but to my understanding to have the action true and blue printed I'd have to replace the barrel trying to save a little money on this one . I was wondering if anything could be done without replacing the barrel at this
time

Yes, replacing the barrel is best when you are going to have the action trued.

There are various levels of accurizing a rifle, the best is the one that includes truing the action ... maybe this will help >>> Score High Gunsmithing (replace barrel instead on Level 2)

IIWY, shoot it first and go from there.

Last edited:
You can lap the lugs. Color the backside of your bolts lugs with a perm marker. Chamber a fired brass from your rifle and check the lugs to see if the wear is even. I use 400 grit valve lapping compound on the lug that has the most wear, chamber that brass and work the action 10 times. Continue checking until you have as close to even contact on each lug. Be very careful that you don't remove more than .001-.002 material...as you can alter the headspace. There are lots of videos on "lapping lugs". I have only done this on factory Remmington rifles, and it has helped!!

Do those three things AND THEN see where you are at. IF you are 3/4 MOA or better shoot until the barrel goes if you can live with that accuracy level. In the 270 that is more than adequate.

IF you true the action, you normally end up setting the barrel back and rechambering which on a factory barrel is normally a waste of money.

The three things you listed should help you as much as possible UNTIL time to rebarrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.