Improving a barrel by lapping.

Just got done ladder testing a 25-06. The factory load sst was by far the worst grouping, hand load sst was next worst ended up with 120 gr speers bt shooting the best group. Have a 243 I shoot 55 gr Nosler bt out of and the barrel looks like some one took a grinder to the inside of the barrel, but the rifle is highly accurate.
I've never had a rifle that liked SST. in any capacity.

I'd suggest creating a "reference load" against which to measure the performance of new ones.

I recommend a flat base bullet of simple cup and core construction, a budget soft point of some ilk, in a weight guaranteed stable in your twist but not a lightweight. Load to standard coal with an old school single base powder a grain under book max ( start lower for safety etc).
Won't be the greatest load ever but guarantee won't be the worst.
Speer makes a 90 grain hotcor I believe. That's what I'd try myself.

Sitting here thinking back on 722 Rem. in 244 Rem. There was a gripe about the twist in the original 722 244 Rem. Check I think it has a 1-12 twist, Remington looked at the 244 as a varmit rifle. I believe the first Remington factory loads was 75 and 90 Gr bullets. The first 243 Win. had a 1-10 twist and original Win. factory loads were 80 and 100 gr. bullets. The 100 gr. loads in 243 win. met a lot of states min. caliber and bullet weight for deer and bigger game. Remington tried and reborn the 244 Rem. as the 6mm Rem. with a 1-9 twist and heavier bullets, But it never caught the 243 Win. as factory 6mm king.

I believe, The 95 gr. SST bullet has a air pocket in the nose to allow for expansion, It may make it a little long and unstable it 244 rem. barrel twist. I have had problems with a couple mono bullets in my rifles because they exceeded the barrel twist.

Good Luck in this adventure.
You are correct Sir, the 12 twist would barley stabilize 90 grainers so his group with the 95's reflects that

With one exception, thanks for the comments.

The bore really was nasty, pre lapping borescope.

IMG110102-000024F.JPG

first I went conservative and used the 400 & 800 grits. No change.

Then I loaded up 20 with the 220 grit.

The drill went shoot 5 and clean. Shoot 5 Winchester white box 80 gr factory SPs.
Repeat and Repeat.

IMG_3882.jpeg

center after 5
lower right after 10
lower left 15.

Scoping the bore now still shows rough but I'll follow with all grits.

IMG110101-000616F.jpeg

The cross hatching is greatly reduced and the longitudinal scratches from the 220 grit lapping show.

Just may save the old girl !

Now I have to find another 722 to put that 243 AI barrel on !

When I inherited my dad's Rem. 722 222 Rem. (First 222 Rem. that came to a dealer in Morgantown WV. about 1950.) It had accuracy problems to. Since the last Model 722's was made about 1963/64, When Remington went to the Model 700, Your rifle has to be 55 years old.

Dad's rifle shot 2" groups at 100 yds.
Dad's 722 had such a weak firing pin spring that once in a while it would allow the firing pin to come back in the bolt, The primer would pop the firing pin dent and smoke come back into the action. I pulled the firing pin out of a 700 and installed it in the 722, The rifle went back to less than 1" groups like it did when I shot it as a kid.

I got a short action 700 firing pin spring and Bill Talkington and I replaced the original spring. The 70 year old rifle still makes groundhogs lives in danger.

I would not worry about the barrel till you replace the firing pin spring and see what the old war horse will do.
Morgantown has a lot of shooters🤠

Here's my 722 in 257roberts, made in 1950 and sporting a handcrafted wooden stock and leather sling that my friend's grandfather made. Old Weaver K4 scope. When my friend gave it to me, the barrel looked furry as you looked down it. I'd hate to borescope this thing but it still shoots sub MOA with most anything 117 -120gn. My 100gn loads can get a bit squirrely with velocity.
Rem722.jpg

I have had the same rifle setup the in the late 80's scope and all. It had the same problem too, cccovbra is correct on the twist issue. I shot one deer with it then sold it. The best 95 grn. bullet that I could get to shoot was the Sierra 95grn. pro hunter Rnd nose. (shorter than other 95's)

The 722 244 will shoot 100 gr bullets plenty accurate to kill any deer within it's kill envelope.

The 722 244 myth was scripted by the gun writers paid off at the annual OLIN farms bash that both JOC and Keith commented on in their later writings.

Wine, women etc were all in ample supply for the OLIN shills.

The 244 is a better cartridge than the 243 for reasons that P.O. explained and why his 243 AI is among the best medium bore 6mm.

Today with the Barnes 80 gr 6mm, the 244 is deadly.

Last edited:
The 722 244 will shoot 100 gr bullets plenty accurate to kill any deer within it's kill envelope.

The 722 244 myth was scripted by the gun writers paid off at the annual OLIN farms bash that both JOC and Keith commented on in their later writings.

Wine, women etc were all in ample supply for the OLIN shills.

The 244 is a better cartridge than the 243 for reasons that P.O. explained and why his AI is among the best medium bore 6mm.

Today with the Barnes 80 gr 6mm, the 244 is deadly.
Huh, Well why aren't you shooting 100's then? it sure looked like it was shooting those 95's with pinpoint accuracy, and it's no myth 12 twist is to slow for the 95's and up, you can run that in any modern day twist calculator and find the same answer

New 100gr 6mm Match Bullet — More Velocity Than 105/108
Long-range benchresters have had great success with the Berger 108gr match bullet, introduced in 2007. Given the popularity of its tangent-ogive 108, Berger has been developing a shorter, lighter version, which can shoot faster than the 108 in small cartridges such as the 6mmBR, 6mmAR (6-6.5 Grendel), and 6 PPC. The new 6mm 100-grainer will be very similar to the 108. The 100 has the same ogive curve and boat-tail as the 108 but has a shorter OAL and shorter bearing surface (0.368″ vs. 0.409″). A minimum twist rate of 1:8" is recommended for the new 100 — same as for the 108. In a 6BR rifle, the 100-grainer's reduced bearing surface, combined with reduced mass, should enable Berger's new 100gr 6mm bullet to fly 50-70 fps faster than the 108 (with charges of equal pressure).

Caliber6 mm
Bullet Weight90 Grain
Product LineTarget
G1 BC0.409
G7 BC0.21
G7 Form Factor1.037
Minimum Twist (or faster)1:10"
Ogive StyleTangent
Base StyleBoat Tail
Berger as well, I'm not saying you cant push really hard and overcome the slow twist in some cartridges but the 244 won't make it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.