im going to start another controversial thread

The Partition is not a TURD at long range as long it is accurate in your rifle. The soft nose of the Partition opens up much more quickly than a Barnes TSX or any of the bonded bullets. It's secret is that is is NOT bonded and the nose opens up much more quickly than a bonded bullet but yet its rear section holds togehther and punches through better due to less frontal area since it sheds the nose and offers less rsistance to deep penetration....meaning it will probably punch through and leave a blood trail.

As far a bigngreen's comments goes, if he is a big game processor and he is digging out a Partition from dead game, then it did its job or he would not be digging out the bullet in the first place. What kind of moron would post such a comment????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Your right they open better than the TSX but they run out of steam fairly fast, and yes I've dug a lot of them out of game that were not the cause of death and were in good enough shape you could load them again, you'll find them in the back straps, hind quarters, necks any heavy muscle because they run out of steam way faster that guys think. I dug two 180 gr 30 cal Partitions out of the same elk, looked like new, the guy who killed the elk shot it with a 270 and the partition wound channels were healing over very well.
The Partition does not open as fast as a tipped bonded bullet, any lead tipped bullet will open at a moderate rate compared to a tipped bullet!
Love the Partition for shooting game at normal ranges, it sucks for long range!!!

id have to say if your butchering those deer the bullets must have worked.

Then by this definition you'd have to say the .240's are working? Or am I confused again?

You start a thread talking about raising hackles, and controversy, then try to play it off like there will be some educational benefit to the masses. What I'm saying is I believe your first statement, and you're just kicking cow pies for your own amusement, but wish others to believe you don't like the splatter.

OK, bigngreen, I will give you the fact that the Partition did not open, for whatever reason, because you did find it in such a state of condition. Will take your word for that without question. What you saw is what you saw. I am good at seeing UFO's myself, but not everybody has believed me. The last three were red-orange in color and left no sonic boom as they went horizon to horizon in 5 seconds. Current science cannot explain it, but it happens, and I maintain I saw what I saw. Never mind that Air Force officers at the local Malmstrom AFB missile silos have had their Minuteman III ICBM missiles shut down by them (Russian Strategic Rocket Forces too) and this is a widely known event by UFO researchers. Some would say I was hallucinating. We have both seen things others might not believe because they have not seen it themselves.

However, the elk or whatever was dead and the hunter recovered the game and turned it over to your for processing....or you would not be processing it.

Do you consider receiving dead game for processing a failure, or did the hunter have a long and arduous recovery of the game animal? If an animal comes in for processing must the bullet be in a certain condition to be pronounced effective....whether or not the animal is dead? If the animal is dead and not flouncing around, is that not proof that the bullet performed adequately?

never once said the 240 wouldnt kill. I said it was lacking in the kind of quick kills the 257 is noted for. To be honest some of the most damaged deer ive shot at long range have been with partitions. Probably do to the fact that they outpenetrate most bullets and if you shoot a deer in the shoulder your going to loose both shoulders. The differnce a partition and a ballistic tip have in velocity at 400 yards sure isnt going to make the differnce in a kill or not. Id bet the partition still outpenetrates a ballistic tip at 400 yards and even 500. There still going to open up much better in my experience then a barnes will at those ranges and id bet much better then a bonded bullet. Like I said ive killed many deer with them and butchered them too and have never recovered a partition. You give one example of an elk with two partitions in it. You dont have a clue as to what gun shot them or the range they were shot at. Could be some idiot was blazing away with hiis 06 or even 308 at 800 yards.

I once had a 300 wby with a 180 tsx at 150 yards hit a deer in low in the shoulder and had the bullet about turn 90 degrees and blow out the leg. one peddle off of that bullet went throught the shoulder and hit the heart and killed that deer. I talked on the phone to barnes about it and we came up to the conclusion that must have been a weard angle and the bullet took a dive. I asked if they had ever seen it before and they didnt deny it all they would say is odd things happen. Does that make the barnes bullet a poor penetrator on deer at a 150 yards??? I dont think so. Ive killed proably 30 deer with .30 cal tsx bullets since and never recovered a single one. But if that was my onlye experience with barnes bullets id be saying there unrealiable penetrators.

Go back to my post about the 240 and youll find people that agree with my thoughts on how quick killing a 240 is or any 6mm. this post could go on for weeks and i doubt we will find another guy that has shot more then one deer with a partition say there are recovering bullets all the time because they run out of steam faster then some other bullet or another so called butcher that is recovering them all the time. this isnt my first rodeo and i know better.
Then by this definition you'd have to say the .240's are working? Or am I confused again?

You start a thread talking about raising hackles, and controversy, then try to play it off like there will be some educational benefit to the masses. What I'm saying is I believe your first statement, and you're just kicking cow pies for your own amusement, but wish others to believe you don't like the splatter.

First off. Using a controlled expansion bullet is in most cases not necessary for deer, especially 100 Lb does. That being said, it is not right to lump all premium bullets together. A Barnes X or Nosler E-Tip do not act the same as a Scirocco or Nosler Accubond.

I did some testing on Barnes X's a while back. I was working with my then new 257 Roberts mountain rifle, trying to work up loads to replace my worn out 25-06. I had settled on 100 gr Hornadys as my favorite deer medicine in my 25-06 and had killed upwards of 50 deer with it and new what to expect on game. Never had any issues with it but seldom recovered intact bullets from deer. The ones I did recover, even if they looked like perfect mushrooms, weighed much less than their original weights, indicating core slipage. Most either exited on broadside shots or fragmented to some degree or the other. All resulted in dead deer. The only time excessive meat destruction was there was when I hit them in excessively meaty areas, but I digress.

I was interested in the Barnes X so I did some testing in wet newspapers against the Hornady 100 grainers. I shot them at various distances and then loaded them down to approximate long shots to see how they would open up. I even shot them in sand at close range. This is what I found.

At 100 yards the Hornady performed as expected. Due to the wet newspaper's consistent density without bones, they mushroomed perfectly with about 25% weight loss. The Barnes X's penetrated over 50% farther and retained 100% of their weight. Wound channels were 50% larger as well and had X shaped tears that extended even farther. The tears may not mean much in solid meat but in lungs I suspect they might. The curious and unexpected part for me was at low velocity approximating a 500 yard shot. The Hornady retained most of its weight but opened relatively little resulting is a narrow wound channel. The Barnes opened up beautifully with 100% of its weight with double the wound channel. Shots at 15 yards showed over 90% of its weight, losing a couple of petals, with devastating wound channels with deep penetration for the Barnes. The Hornady disintegrated with little penetration. Shots point blank into sand were predictable with the Hornady disintegrating and the Barnes X losing all its petals and retaining 2/3 of its weight.

What does all this mean? You don't need premium bullets to kill deer with anything but a shot at the south end of a north bound deer and even then it's iffy. Who would want to take that shot? Unfortunately, let's be honest, there are a lot of hunters that if they were faced with that shot at the trophy of a lifetime....they'd take the shot. Although a premium bullet might make the difference on that ill advised shot, where they really shine is on larger game or while stretching the performance of under power rounds on larger game.

I was dying to find out how my little Roberts would perform on larger game with my Barnes X loads. I decided to use it on my cow elk hunt. I shot a cow who was 100 yards off slightly quartering away behind the shoulder. She ran about 50 yards and lay down. I followed up with broad side shot behind the shoulder from about 50 yards that was really not needed. The bullet from the first shot was found under the hide behind the off shoulder and second shot was a complete pass through.

So, what do I use on deer. I use Nosler Accubonds which are a good compromise between the two. I use them on deer because I use them on elk and see no reason to be switching bullets. They hold together and penetrate better than standard bullets. I switched to them when Barnes switched to the first Triple shock X's. Their BC sucked and I didn't want to lose that much long range performance. They have since been redesigned and now have excellent BC's but I haven't seen the need to switch back. But, if I wanted the very best in penetration and wound channel performance, I would go back to the Barnes X or the new Nosler E-Tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.