going to start loading, thinking about presses.

If you contact Newlon I believe they have the split type collars that don't booger up threads.

They used to be right around 8-10 bucks a piece. I set all of my stuff up like this years ago.

Good call.

I am assuming that RCBS and all other dies have set screws on the lock rings? Are there any that do not?
Hornady, Forster and Lyman; the Hornady is the most popular, mainly because of its wrench flats. Redding says that they can't supply them because of the added expense to the consumer. Doesn't make any sense to me either. Funny that other companies that cater to a lesser market are not so encumbered. Sounds like an internal obstruction somewhere, as in, "All it takes to be boss [read: control]...." But then, I'm just the dumb-*** customer. Thank God their accountant is looking out for me.

Be sure your press will accommodate your magnum, if you intend to load for it, too. The nicest large-frame press around is, to me, the Redding Big Boss II. Look around before you buy. There are lots of opinions (which have been compared to hemorrhoids), but you are the one who will be using it.

Last edited:
I am assuming the Hornady dies will thread into a RCBS press? Looks like their design will not damage threads.

A better question is will the Hornady "Sure-Lock" lock rings thread onto RCBS dies?
thanks

Answered my own question. Yes they do.

Last edited:
That item is in their newest catalog as a new item but not on the website. I called them and they say it was discontinued:confused:. I should have asked why but didn't.

Anyhow I will probably be starting off on a Lee Classic Turret press with auto index. That way I can disable the auto index when starting out so I can work slowly to learn the process. Once I get proficient with it and my ammo shoots good I may upgrade to a true wiz bang progressive.

Midsouthshooters.com has a "smart reloader" single stage that is a GREAT buy - it is the Lee Classic cast press with a quick change setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts