I'm considering Polishing the Inside kneck of my 7mm brass.

Outside neck turning mandrels really booger up the inside of necks, at least mine does. Lots of grooves and burrs

DSCN0721.jpg

I use a Zip Trim, piece of scotchbrite and hemostat

DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN1607.jpg

DSCN1610.jpg

and then a little mica

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1564.jpg

It might not make a difference in bullet release but it does help stabilize bullet seating pressure, at least IME

This is a bad move. Polishing the inside of your necks will only serve to increase seating forces, which will lead to increased seating depth variance, and this can hurt accuracy.

Are you entering your brass in a 'shiny insides contest'?

NOPE. Won't change a thing there.

You can shoot as well as top competitors with a quick brush through necks & a swipe of primer pockets & a cycle through vibratory media -just like they do(if that much).
That thin carbon film in there? It's your friend. It reduces friction and very consistently normalizes seating forces.

+1 the carbon film in neck acts as a lubricant.Removing this by sonic/tumbling cleaning is like seating bullets in new brass.

I clean my cases sonically and i give the necks a spray with one shot lube to ease in bullet seating. It seems to help as my ES went way down once i started doing that.

What neck turning tool do you have?

Outside neck turning mandrels really booger up the inside of necks, at least mine does. Lots of grooves and burrs

DSCN0721.jpg

I use a Zip Trim, piece of scotchbrite and hemostat

DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN1607.jpg

DSCN1610.jpg

and then a little mica

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1564.jpg

It might not make a difference in bullet release but it does help stabilize bullet seating pressure, at least IME

I love the pictures, I really like the good use of the surgical clamp. I have them in my fly fishing tackle, I think ill put them to good use. I have never lathed the necks on my brass. Seems like taking brass away will shorten the life of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts