What is my problem? Pic inside.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CRNA, Aug 14, 2011.

1. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

So I decided to full length size my 7RM brass today. I had been only neck sizing for the last couple of reloads. My brass was getting a little hard to extract even though I had dropped my charge weight by a considerable amount while playing with loads. I lubed the cases with Imperial Sizing Wax, and I get this (see pic below). Of note, I can run my brass through the die if the expander ball assembly is out, but when I put the expander ball back in I get this. I lubed the inside case mouths. The FL die is a Forster bench rest.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/screamin_chief/IMG_3325.jpg

2. Franklin

Franklin Well-Known Member

Have you ever fl sized your cases with this die? I would measure your expander ball and make sure theres no burrs or something that is catching the case mouth.

3. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

Yes, I have FL sized the same cases with the same die. Didn't have the problem at all. The expander ball looked smooth, but I will check it a little closer.

4. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Have you taken the die apart and cleaned it? Looks like lube build up or something hung in the die. JohnnyK.

5. pressman

pressman Well-Known Member

it is a little hard for me to tell but it kind of looks like that is trying to crimp the end some. back off your die 1/8 or so from the bottom and try to size another.

6. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

The expander ball in most dies are made to work during withdrawal. Reversing that can easily cause neck damage such as yours.

7. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

Ok, figured it out after I had time to think it over. I pulled the die apart and found that the expander ball was positioned incorrectly in the die. It was the same die that I had the stuck case in several months ago and apparently I was so glad to have gotten that case out that I forgot to properly position the expander ball.

8. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

Ya' had it a tad to high didn't you? :D

9. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

I wish I could say it was only a "tad" high!!! Hahah!