I'm beside my self, if I only I could kick my self in the BUTT

Turns out the Nosler action isn't cut long enough!
What does that mean? Does it mean the threads in the mouth of the receiver are not very long, like under an inch or so? I don't know anything about guns, but I figgered the barrel tenon would be at least as long as the diameter of the barrel at the receiver mouth.

I headed out to the range today, In the back yard, and realized I had forgotten my safety glasses. I walked fifty feet to the shop and got them. Then all the way back out to the range. It was terrible. :)
Sorry fella's after 35 years of city life, and now have land in the country, it still makes me smile to shoot in my own yard.

I found the perfect spot a couple of years ago, it was a point that over looked two drainages perfectly. I sat down under a short tree that concealed me perfectly. When I looked over there was a nice pair on camo sunglasses sitting there like they were just sat down. I guess someone else can find good hunting spots too.

It took me 2 shots to sight in my new rifle,,, 5 boolitz per 5 sets to ladder the best node...

3 X's I tested the loads = 75 shots,,, then 3 more range runs to confirm the dope...

Ruffly 250 to 300 down the pipe,,, she's a shooter that's ready for hunting season...

Took out a Magpie on the ground at 257 yards this morning,,, big poof of feathers fore sure... Coyote at 387 yards,,, 7 Gophers between 500 and 735 yards... Not bad out of 24 shots with a 3 to 5 mph cross section wind...

Yuppers,,, best reload ammo going for the 2019 hunting season that gets underway very soon up here in the North...

The cost of ammo is what it is,,, the rewards of these cost are priceless... Ha

Good on you for getting things sorted at your end BCWN,,, that's what really counts...

Happy harvest season to you and all with boots on the ground
Couldn't have been a magpie. I believe they are protected. I think it was a black and white prairie dog!

When I was younger and a more aggressive hunter I hunted public land near Williamsport PA. Went really early to get a good parking spot and was the first one in. There was a Marlin 336 in 35 leaning on a tree there. I put it in the truck, hunted all day and came out late and no one there. I still have it 35 years later.

About 35 years ago I was hunting one day near Williamsport, PA. Got to the woods early, a little too early. As luck would have it, nature called. So I leaned my marlin 336 in 35 on a tree and walked into the bushes to take care of business. When I came back, there was a truck there, and my gun was gone. I waited all day for the dude to return so I could ask him if he saw my gun. Alas, he never returned, so I left. For 35 years, I've been going back to that very spot to see if some guilty soul took my gun back for me to find.

Last edited:
My wife had a Cow elk tag in MT one year, gave her my .270 and grabbed my 300 win that I cleaned the night before. Got to the hunting area grabbed my rifle and realized forgot the bolt on the cleaning bench. OOPS! I can laugh about it now.

Drove 4 hours to my cousin's place and went out to hunt. I was loading my muzzleloader, so I dumped the powder down the barrel and the snow at my feet turned black! The last time I cleaned it I forgot to put the breach plug back in. That was not much fun. The two of us went together but only had his gun. Didn't get any deer that day.

About 35 years ago I was hunting one day near Williamsport, PA. Got to the woods early, a little too early. As luck would have it, nature called. So I leaned my marlin 336 in 35 on a tree and walked into the bushes to take care of business. When I came back, there was a truck there, and my gun was gone. I waited all day for the dude to return so I could ask him if he saw my gun. Alas, he never returned, so I left. For 35 years, I've been going back to that very spot to see if some guilty soul took my gun back for me to find.
I saw a photo/article of a lever action found in CA, leaned against a tree decades ago. It was found by some camper or hiker. Still had live rounds in it. Some cowboy leaned it there, and never went back to get it. Pretty cool story. Makes me wonder what happed to the owner as back then rifles were a prized, luxury possession.

I headed out to the range today, In the back yard, and realized I had forgotten my safety glasses. I walked fifty feet to the shop and got them. Then all the way back out to the range. It was terrible. :)
Sorry fella's after 35 years of city life, and now have land in the country, it still makes me smile to shoot in my own yard.
I own 50 acres in middle Tennessee and I'm waiting on my buddy with a dozer to build my range now

I own 50 acres in middle Tennessee and I'm waiting on my buddy with a dozer to build my range now
I have 175 acres and can shoot 300 yds up my driveway before I have to be careful about hitting anything. Last week I had been working up a new load for the 300 win , when the power company wanted to drive up and read my meter. I told them to walk about 400 yards through the woods or wait until I finished in about 45 min. They came back after lunch.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.