375 WM vs 338LM.... I want to kick 338LM's butt

Thanx a lot folks!! :)
We are not allowed to shoot anything bigger than .400 caliber over here in Norway.
Thats why the .400+ calibers are out of the question.
I started to shoot at the age of 15, more than 30 years ago.
I've been shooting mostly 30.06 the last 10- 15 years, and have just recently began shooting really long range again.
I practice a lot in the snowy season with an air-rifle, indoors, in my attic (yes, air-rifle ;) ) at 10 meters, and with my .22 at 15 meters. Good to have a long house ;)
Otherwise I have shot .222, .223 and .308 Nato, but mostly I've been stuck with different 30.06's. Love that caliber. :D
BTW, all Norwegians are born with a shotgun... :D

My friends laugh at me and say I am crazy because of my (of-course-sarcastic) "bigger is better"-motto.
I started driving fullsize American cars after having a car accident 25 years ago where my car, a small european car, was totally wrecked and the Chevy Van I hit had to had its bumper replaced... :rolleyes:
After that, I got this idea that "bigger is better", and it got kinda stuck to me ;)

Anyways, I am not after a bigger gun/caliber just because it is bigger.
Here in Norway everyone says that 338 LM is as good as it gets, and some challenged me and said "you can never, ever do better with a bigger gun/caliber/cartridge than the 338 LM". (Keeping in mind that we have a national limitation at .400.)

My aim is therefore to show that, not necessarily with me behind it, a bigger gun/caliber/cartridge actually CAN kick the 338LM's butt, at the (more or less) same costs of course.
Any which way you put it, no rifle is better than the person that shoots it. ;)
My friend with the .338LM at 2200 meters is a natural shooting talent, and I am just eager to show him that it is possible to push the .338LM off the throne.
Wether I am up for the task is an entirely different matter, but I have to give it a try...:) (for the record: I've never been further out than 600 meters...)

Thank you for all tips and links!! I'll check them out :)

In the meantime, I got a tip about a caliber called 338-375 WM. Never heard of it over here... Could that be it? I guess bullets would be easier to get as it obviously is a 338-bullet. Could this be a tad better than the 338 LM? The parent case would maybe be the 375 H&H...??? Anyone??

Thanks
Roy
If you have never shot past 600 yards Then you r no where close to shooting 2200 meters consistently . You be better off getting a rifle that won't cost a ton to shot or burn the barrel out in 1000 rounds and push it out far as you can then move up to something larger. the big boomer are barrel eaters and you need some serious trigger time reading the wind and conditions down range to even think about being able to shoot out to 2200meters hell even a 1000 for as that goes with any consistentsy. if not you will burn up a nice rifle barrel and a ton of money trying to learn. Get something like a 308 and put a lot of time behind it and then move up to a big powder barrel burner.
2200 meters is a long ways and sorry but shooting a pellet gun in the house is not practicing for something like you r wanting to do not even close. you would be better spending your money on ammo leaning how to shoot at long range first before you try moving out to extreme long range. IMO If your Buddy can shoot consistently at 2200 meters then he is way way ahead of you in every aspest of the game shooting reloading every thing that goes with it. JMO

Last edited:
........................last time I shot a pellet gun in the house, it was at my grandma's and I was 16. I blew out her porch light and I got my lights put out..... by my dad.:D

If it were me, I would build a .338LM that would crush his in the accuracy department. If that idea doesn't do it for you, go with the .338 Allen Mag (.338-.408CT)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.