if 4 clicks are 1 inch @ 100 yds

This better not be my nephew 'Tommy' in (northern) CA -- he's only 10 and not reading this board that I know of!
wink.gif

Tommy, MOA = just about 1" (one inch) at 100y. It's actually just about 1.047", but we round it off to an inch for simplicity.

MOA means Minute Of Angle, which is an arbitrary (but commonly accepted) way to measure a rifle's accuracy potential.

The number of clicks that corresponds to MOA depends on your scope. And some scopes don't have clicks, they have friction adjustments with hash marks on the scope turret to supposedly let you keep track of what you're dialing in. (Trust me, clicks are WAY better!)

So, first you need to figure out what YOUR scope's adjustments mean.

Then just do the math, even if you went to public school (another reason to recall the pencil-neck fool liberal Gray Davis...).

1 MOA = 1" at 100y
1 MOA = 2" at 200y
1 MOA = 3" at 300y

Don't think in terms of clicks, think in terms of MOA, so can apply the math to whatever scope setup you might be using. If your scope has 1/4 MOA adjustments, then indeed 2 clicks would equate to 1" at 200y, and 1.5" at 300y, and so on. And be sure to test your scope to see if the clicks REALLY do correspond to the amount of movement you are expecting. Some do, and some don't. Most are close enough to get you to the promised land.

Hope this helps, and if you are in northern CA and want to shoot and experiment w/MOA type stuff at the Sac Valley Range (near Ione/Jackson area really), then reply and I'll email you offline.

Regards from a fellow subject of Kalifornia, where hopefully we can start tossing out (and imprisoning, ideally) the worthless bastards and bastardettes who have been RUINING our state, and stealing our money and giving it to people and programs who didn't earn it.

IT'S OUR MONEY, not theirs. The government works for the people, NOT the other way around. NEVER FORGET THAT, and shout down those who think you should pay for anybody except yourself.
smile.gif

[ 09-28-2003: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

[ 09-28-2003: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

2 clicks is a constant .5 moa. if you then multiply .5 x yards rounded to nearest 100, there's your answer.

300 yards: .5x3=1.5"
700 yards: .5x7=3.5"

433 yards: .5x4.33=2.165"

Just remember that 1 moa is not exactly 1" at 100 yards. I believe it is something like 1.047" if my memory serves me.

MM

MM, two clicks is only 1/2" if the clicks are quarter minute.

Some scopes feature 1/8 minute clicks, some feature 1/2 or full minute clicks (like the M3), and some European products feature other fractions.

If Tommy has 1/4 minute clicks on his scope, then two clicks would be 1/2" at 100y like you say.

Tommy, books are fine, but I strongly recommend you shoot with some people in your area who can help you put theory into practice.

my scope is a tasco 6 x24x44 its not the best scope i know but it all a can afford it does not have half clicks i dont think what is a good scope in the $175.00 range

[ 09-28-2003: Message edited by: tommy in califorina ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.