Clicks, I hate clicks.

Dave King

I know there's a segment of our society that use this term and I believe they somehow know what it means but it's one of the few LRH terms that irritates me... (I'll also admit that I count for little so if you use the term don't feel too offended.)

The term "Click" as used by the scope turret twisting group as a unit of measure has no unit assigned to it... it's UNITLESS... ARBITRARY... AMBIGUIOUS.

The "Click" could be anything from 1/8th minute of angle to 1 full minute or other options/unit values. The scope manufacturer could have calibrated the scope in MOA, Inches or Centimeters, who knows.

Passing trajectory data between shooters in "clicks" is, is… well… it's bad form and somehow dismisses the need for precise data and methods to communicate that data.

Now, could someone please tell me how many minutes of travel time it is to Winchester, VA from Damascus, MD? I'm gonna head over there for a gun show and want an idea of how far it is...

[ QUOTE ]
Now, could someone please tell me how many minutes of travel time it is to Winchester, VA from Damascus, MD? I'm gonna head over there for a gun show and want an idea of how far it is...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about a bunch of minutes/divided by the velocity (in some kind of units), plus the parking time divided by the amount of coins (10+ coins) in the meter, all divided by the volume of gasoline measure in cups... but I'm not sure if that's cooking cups, or the other cups (as in "In his "cups"").

So leave now, or better yet, leave 28 minutes ago.

Dave,
You woke up cranky! CLICKS are a perfect descriptive for the little sound made by a good turret when you rotate one notch or whatever causes the sound. Only problem is that any good shooter has lost so much hearing that he cannot detect the sound of a CLICK anymore. Hell, I couldn't hear it if it made a sound like clanging two trashcan lids together. You are about the same only you got them hearing-aide dealies. I am getting to were I cannot read lips so may have to get some of those things.

As for using it as a description of adjustment. Which is better - "Give me a half minute left." or "Give me two clicks left." The guys I shoot with all handle the two clicks left better every time.

Plus don't tell me you haven't used the term as an abreviation of Kilometer. Now I don't know what in hell a kilometer is in yards or miles but since they made Canada a metric country we all say, "Go about five clicks, then turn at the McDonalds...". Now here is one for you, should that be CLICKS or KLICKS. Heavy stuff for so early in the morning.

Good luck at the gunshow, you seekin-on something in particular? I just got me a .338 Lapua, time to start hurlin' some bigger boolits.

Catshooter, there is a cougar wandering around in one of our cities these days. You got any ideas what they should do about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Passing trajectory data between shooters in "clicks" is, is… well… it's bad form and somehow dismisses the need for precise data and methods to communicate that data.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to put a little perspective on Dave's 'click' concerns........I was once 'a little perturbed' to find myself lying next to a mortar fire controller (of an allied nation that shall remain nameless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and hear him order a fire correction of "left two cranks"

...so perturbed that I think I even mentioned it to him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dave,
You woke up cranky!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, did you wake up cranky? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just want to know how well Ian knows you!

Wake up a little cranky, yes, but I was indeed fortunate enough to once again wake up.... I have little doubt that someday my wakeup gland will malfunction.... I eagerly await that at times...

Ian

I get a little confused about Canada and measurement also... I believe you're metric but isnt the left part of that fine country gridded off into DLS (Dominion Land Survey) townships and such (calibrated in statute miles I believe)??? Drive 1.6 kilometers to the next Range Road and tournez à gauche.

Firstly, say this word.... kilometer.

Now try this, say these aloud

Meter, meter, meter, kilo, kilo, kilo, kilometer.

(I've been busy and cranky!)

I didn't even make it over to that gunshow...

Travel time in minutes dosen't even seem to work... I tried to use it recently and to my surprise discovered it takes either "a whaal", "a bit" or "a fair bit" to travel from place to place in the mountains of WV, VA and NC and not any unit of miles, minutes or hours.

Brown Dog

During training I've overheard folks pass scope corrections as "a twirl" but never "two twirls"... I'm afraid a fella could possibly shoot himself in the arse with a two twirl correction!!

Dave,
Now you've gone and mixed metric with French, holly shmidt Kemo Sabee, that is not going to work. I have decided to pretend there is no such thing as metric, to continue living my life in miles, inches, feet, degrees F, acres, quarts, pints, gallons (real freeking gallons that is), ounces and pounds.

I will also keep calling wind and elevation in clicks and minutes, but hope to stay away from twirls. On the other hand, maybe a twirl should officially be fifteen moa, like on most Leupold Mark 4's. Or should it be ten moa, as in NXS and a few other tactical scopes. I could hear my spotter saying, "That funnel cloud is coming our way, give me a couple of twirls for this next shot then let's do a three-sixty and get the hell out of here!"

NowThatsFunny.gif

Just another reason to hate clicks. Everytime I ask an old benchrest shooter that I know about a load the response is never in grains but in, you guessed it, clicks of a culver style powder measure. Which is truely arbitrary since 48 clicks on his culver measure is equal to about 53 clicks on my harrels measure.

Same lots would be more precise...8208 is hard to find. Someone mixed a bunch of half empty eight pounders and I ended up with 8 lbs of it. It shoots good unless I use one of my buddies 48 click loads...then its a little hot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif When this happens I just move my scope a few clicks or drop a few clicks off my load.

Eddybo, nice to know how much powder you have on hand but.... Did you use the same lot of powder when comparing a Culver measure to a Harrell's measure? Whenever I change lots of powder, whether it be H322 or V133, or any other brand for that matter, I usually have to adjust the "clicks" to get the same weight as the previous lot.
I just hate to see someones' good name, as well as his product, maligned.

Sorry if I wasnt clear. The answer is yes, we were using the 8208 I described above, thus the explanation regarding "lots"

Doced,...BTW both of the powder measures mentioned are very fine equipment and work perfectly as intended by thier manufacturer. However, since "clicks" are not a standard measure...which I thought was partly the intent of this thread...I do not feel that it reflects badly on Harrels' powder measures. Lenwood Harrel is a great guy from my limited knowledge, (only reputation and a couple of phone conversations.) The culver used by my fried is an original and at least 20+ years old with lots of use, and no longer in manufacture. In any case "clicks" are not interchangable between different manufacturer's measures IMO and are very arbitrary. Even though all clicks are not created equal I highly recomend the harrels measures.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.