I'd like to share the success of my Wife and Daughter in law, last elk season.

FEENIX

I am posting this for @billcaldwell.

Ed

This is a video of my Wife's 712 yard shot at the bull of her dreams.

My Wife has been an avid elk hunter for 42 years. She's an aggressive shooter, and an excellent shot. Everyone in camp calls her "deadeye". She's been growling for the last few years about wanting a "Big" Bull, She's killed 5 bulls in her hunting career, but nothing above a 5 point. So, last fall, the young men in camp decided to make it their "project" to get Sonia a shot at a big bull.

On November the 2nd, they took her to one of their favorite "game viewing saddles" to see if they could find her bull. Late in the afternoon, NINE big bulls appeared on a finger ridge between 1050 and 1150 yards. Our youngest son, Will, had his 338 Norma with him, and he was sure Sonia could make the shot. However, good judgement prevailed, and he decided to return the next day to mount an attack since they were not prepared for an all-night pack out.

The next afternoon, about 2:30 we all arrived at the "game viewing saddle", and worked our way around and down the finger ridge we were on to see if we could prepare for a better shot, and be a little closer. When we arrived at a likely spot, I set up my tripod, and 338 Norma. The distance to where the bulls had been, the evening before, was 800 yards. Since Sonia had never shot my rifle, I dialed it in for 800 yards, and had her get steady and "dry fire" it three times.

About 5:00 PM the biggest bull, from the day before, showed up and began grazing. It took him about 40 minutes to present a good shot. When in a good shooting position, the range was 712 yards. The time of flight of the 300 grain Berger Elite Hunter was .85 seconds, and it hit the bull with 3100 foot pounds of energy. DRT!

1 Sonia's Sniper Set-up.jpg

(Sonia's sniper set-up)
2A.jpg

3 Bill and Sonia with the antlers.jpg

(Bill and Sonia with the antlers)
4.jpg

5 Anna after the shot.jpg

(Anna after the shot)
6 Obedient helpers bowing to the queen.jpg

(Obedient helpers bowing to the queen)

Bill Caldwell

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.