Ian's Target Frame

Dave King

Ian\'s Target Frame

A few pictures of Ian's target frame system.

Closeup1.jpg

New_frame.jpg

It's not Ian but still a Canadian (Wayne).

Wayne_TgtFrame.jpg

Re: Ian\'s Target Frame

Thanks for posting the images, Dave. I thought that some of the steel shooters like Brent might like to see our latest design.

Works better than the wooden saw-horses, no shrapnell to watch out for. As you can see we vary the height by moving the front legs in and out. Like the target near the ground so we can see low misses. My buddy came up with this frame and it is working very well, have a lot of shooting on them and no problems. Even hit the legs twice at 1000 the other day, no real damage.
The round pipes have a cap so that the angle-iron legs can't go right through. The weight of the targets binds the cross piece, sits real steady. Use "S" hooks to hold the target chains, have a bag of spare pieces of chain cut in case we get some hit by bullets.

Thks. boys, i'm gonna make me one just like that.

OK Dave, what is this Damascus, MD stuff? I'm from Pasadena, where i got started shooting chucks on trips to Mt. Airy, Frederick, etc. back in the '70's.

Thks. boys, i'm gonna make me one just like that.

OK Dave, what is this Damascus, MD stuff? I'm from Pasadena, where i got started shooting chucks on trips to Mt. Airy, Frederick, etc. back in the '70's.

I got to try out this new hanging frame of Ian's last Thursday. I've also used his former 2x4 wood frame. All I can say is this metal fram is far more user friendly. It's sturdier, and much easier to set up. I give two thumbs waaaaaaay up!

636737618133.jpg

725241182922.jpg

OK guys, heres one I made. It is made out of 1/2" sch 40 pipe. It is rather light, and breaks down very easily. We hang plates off of it also. You can use 3/4" T's, weld the plates to differant length nipples, and the T's slip right over the 1/2" pipe. They don't make a rifle that can knock this baby over, either. I have used 1" plate hanging this way, hit it with 200 SMK's, almost went all the way through at 100 yards, and all it does is rock the plate back and forth.

Forgot to mention that you can make it out of as heavy pipe as you want. But if you are like me, you want it portable. And light enough to carry into the field. Use a couple of "S" clips to hold the plywood on, just got them from an old rubber bungee. Bend the end on the pipe snug, leave the other side open so the plywood just slips on. Friend has the plates, so can't show you them. Even have a couple with heavy chain welded to them. Just slip them over the 90*'s, and they last a long time!

littetoes, that is right on!

I'm gonna build me one of those. Beats using a stupid pallet as a target holder @#$%!!. And as a bonus I can hang steel!!

AB

Yippee, just made one (like Ian's-- looks a lttle simpler than Littletoes, and i don't know the 1st thing about metal, except that it's heavy)out of 1 1/4" plumbing type pipe-- 2 T's, 4 45o elbows, 4 5" extensions, 4 1" pipe for legs and some of that weld goop you mix together like epoxy. I'll try to get some pics. on here soon. The only problem is it cost me $40 for the pipe at a plumbing store. Any ideas how to make it cheaper next time (for somebody that's not a plumber or welder)??

You might try to find a scrap yard in your area. That is where I get most of my metals for projects. Also some steel shops and fabrication shops will sell their off size pieces for a discount.

Pennell,
Good suggestion, that is where we get our steel. Here is some info from our experience re: standard non-hardened steel plate for targets.
..1/4" plate dents at 700 from our .308 Wins. and it starts to bow but we just turn the plate around and shoot the other side to flatten the bending. Easy to carry in 2'x4' size, will penetrate easily by magnums. Very good at 1000 but will eventually bend in the middle from repeated hits.
..3/8" plate is better at 700, no dents, slower to bend but eventually it will. Best carried by two guys in 2'x4' size. This is our favorite weight.
..1/2" plate shows no mark from .308's at 700, magnums at 1000, but will start to bend a bit after a lot of shooting. Too **** heavy, but nice if you could leave it out in position. I have several sheets and find that I am leaving it in favor of the 3/8 plate since we have to transport our targets each time we shoot.
3/4 and 1" is bullet proof as far as .308 is concerned. We shoot it closer, beat hell out of it, hang large discs on chains. Don't have any 2'x4's this heavy, would be nasty to move.

Three pieces of pipe, 32" EE, 4 pieces 15" EE, thread on one end of the short pieces, both ends of the longer ones. Two 90's, and two T's, it cost me just over $5.00 for the pipe, and about the same for the fittings. We're talking just over $10.00 total. Nothing can be simpler, nor cheaper. We have a local steel supply house that has the "rounds" in stock, in multiple sizes, around 3 bucks apiece!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.