Ian M. Where have you been???

Dave King

Ian

Good to have you back... hope you had a good time where ever you were.

I'm thinking you must have a little story or two brewing...

Dave,
Just back from a very nice antelope hunt in Wyoming near Glen Rock. Hunted with Knight Rifles and Kahles folk on a huge ranch, guided by the owner. Saw bazzilions of antelope, maybe more... Rut was going at peak, saw three or four acts of reproduction per day, chasing, fighting, scrape working, you name it...

We all got nice antelopers, nothing huge but as good as was on the ranch. My partner and I both got bucks at over 200 yards with the new .52 caliber muzzleloader - the 375 grain Barnes bullet was fairly adequate for for the task. We used TDS reticles and had zeros out to 300 if we needed to shoot that long.

Both bucks were just under 14 inches, nice and heavy with good cutters but not as long as many bucks I have shot in other places.

All in all it was a great time, very nice weather, great hunting partners and Wyoming - can't express how beautiful that state is. Wildlife and hunting are BIG and still appreciated by real people.

Great visit at Talley Manufacturing - I offered to program a CNC machine but they preferred that I start off sharpening pencils and heavy-duty stuff like that. Great shop with very nice folk, Gary Turner is a super guy to visit and talk guns, hunting and scope mounts with.

Air travel trip there and back rates right up there in the top two or three "clusters" that I have been blessed with - as far as air-travel goes... And I didn't even take a firearm.

Ian

Great.. sounds like fun except for the airline stuff... I'd rather drive for 2 days than be fondled/poked/prodded and be-littled at an airport. Speaking of that..

You wrote:
Rut was going at peak, saw three or four acts of reproduction per day, chasing, fighting, scrape working, you name it... See the same thing here on a casual walk down DC's National Mall...
smile.gif

I guess I should hook up with you to get info on a new muzzleloader... Oour season starts soon and I NEED something newer, bigger, better, stronger.

Talk again soon.

We shot a relatively new in-line from Knight Rifles, a Disc rifle in .52 caliber. Pretty impressive performer, typical Knihgt accuracy but the interesting kicker was a 375 grain Barnes bullet at 1900 fps pushed along by 150 grains of triple seven powder. Can't use pellets as the breach plug has an extension tube up front so that the fire hits the powder near the base of the bullet.
Rifles had Kahles 3x-9x TDS reticle equipped scopes, once we got them zeroed we shot drops out to 300 yards, nice correlation to the range bars so we felt good to go out to 300. Both shots were just over 200 yards, used the first range bar and bingo.
As usual I am not overly impressed with the European turrets - they are sub-standard if you ask me.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.