I wish I lived out west.

Very well stated royinidaho. If your family is willing, JUST GO FOR IT, and dont look back. I guess theres good people all over, but Idaho has a bunch of great folks and great diversity in country and everything else an outdoorsman could want.

You guys are starting to speak my language. I think what started this all, or what made the bug really bite me was back in 2006, I was in Colorado on a guided elk hunt. It was the 1st rifle season, and the elk were still bugling like crazy. All day and all night, we could sit in our tents (the big outfitter canvas tents by the way) and hear them bugle. I had been to CO before that trip but never got to hear them, so now my friend and I were just spellbound. It was music to our ears, not to mention one of the most awe inspiring pieces of property that we'd ever set foot on.

Anyways, my friend and I both shot 5x5 bulls. He took his home to SC, and I left mine in CO because a bear got to it before I did. But thats a whole different story. Since that particular hunt, I have made it a point to get back out west and while I'm there, I keep an eye open for the "For Sale" signs.

Hey silvertip, Colorado Springs has crossed my mind. And Cody, Wyominig. Never been to Idaho yet, but I will start researching that as well.

We have been talking n planning to move to CO, WY or MT for over 25 years. Not too long after we were married. As time went on and several tripps out here, we decided MT was the perfect place. We got caught up in the "more is better" life, with the perfect retirement plan, "work yourself to death" and wasted many years. Finally got tired and beat up with all the stress and pressures of trying to "make more money". We said "to Hell with it". We took our hits, sold off all our junk and moved to beautiful Montana last Sept.. We now have our sights set much lower as far as what we need to be happy. So here we are , no debt, not much money drive older cars and Happier than hell. We have made several great friends here, " Ya reap what ya sow" My wife brought her job along. I do carpentry, mechanic work, fix fence, feed cows, shovel chit, or what ever comes along. Sometimes just to help a neighbor. Heck I don't care what the work or pay is, I hold my head up, and the view is awesome. The only thing we miss is our son, and he is working to move out this way too. It's all about priorities.

I am glad we finally let the clutch out.:)

Jeff

Unless your working for the govt/state here in my area jobs are unstable and new opportunitys are just about nonexistant (unless you want to sling fast food),I know 3 guys that moved here last summer and none of them are working,2 of the three have wives that had state jobs lined up,i think their unemployment is just about gone.

Congrats Broz! The neighbor helpin neighbor makes the best places better. Its what small towns are all about. And why i miss home so bad.
I know Im not silvertip, but heres my take on Cody Wyoming
Cody is a beautiful little TOURIST TRAP! with an awesome museum, and a rodeo i never got to ride in. I was slated to go ride there with my cousin who was my traveling partner, but I wound up in the hospital 2 wks before and havent made it back. The red rocks outside town remind me of the old westerns and you swear at any moment a bunch of screamin hatchet packin stick flingin ticked off indians is gonna ambush you. Cody was cool.

Have a look at Wise River Mt. while your at it. I used to work on a registered Angus ranch there. Good folks.

I grew up here in NW MT, love it, tonight went fly fishing on local river, pulled ina 6,9 #'s bull trout , then a 5 #'s pike, all the while snacking on smoked laker from a few nights earlier.All my highschool buddies wanted to seethe world and get out of our, then 5000 pop. town. NOW THEY ALL WANT TO COME BACK:D:D.Im currently unemployed right now, but I have always understood the quality of life here, this is MY HOME.

I grew up here in NW MT, love it, tonight went fly fishing on local river, pulled ina 6,9 #'s bull trout , then a 5 #'s pike, all the while snacking on smoked laker from a few nights earlier.All my highschool buddies wanted to seethe world and get out of our, then 5000 pop. town. NOW THEY ALL WANT TO COME BACK:D:D.Im currently unemployed right now, but I have always understood the quality of life here, this is MY HOME.

Will you better stock up on lakers becuse the indians are going to net the whole lake next fall. They want bull trout. It make me sick. It will be ruined for years and years and years!! they want to net as much as they can out; maybe 100,000 or more. There probably isn't as many as 100 native americans that fish Flathead; but it is a "spiritual" thing they say; they want it back to one hundred years ago!! You haven't been able to keep a bull trout in the flathead rivers for over 30 years and you can't keep bull trout in the lake so what are we going to have for a fishery? If I was a young man I would not move to NW Montana; they have locked up all the roads and the native americans are going to be in control of the waters! They do not own the north haf of Flathead lake but the state is still going to let then. Are fish and game is a joke. To hunderd men went to the meating to say no way. Not one sportsmen whanted it neted out of to hunder. Fishing and game said it didn't mater what we whanted.

Montana sucks! Montana sucks! Montana sucks! There's no hunting here!

:D:):D:)

Come on over, we have plenty of space for you in the Big Sky Country!

Ed

My wife and I felt the urge to move out west, from southern Illinois, about 2 years ago. Things fell into place and we've been in western SD for about 18 months. We have decided to move back to the eastern NC area in a few years. I don't want to make you second guess your desire but things out here aren't what we expected. We have noticed a different mentality in the people out here than what we are used to. In order to avoid offending people I'll keep the details of my opinion to myself. I do have to say that the game out here is fantastic. This past year my wife and I filled 7 deer/antelope tags in 3 days of hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.