I was successful in Wyoming antelope draw

As far as early or late. You will have to balance the money versus the benefits. The decent sized dumb and unlucky bucks will be shot within a few days. The ones that survive until late will be really spooky and it will be hard to kill them. You will need to invest more time and more hard work to get a good buck if you go late. There are still some left so it is not impossible to get one. I would suspect you will need to do a lot of on foot stalking and the further you can shoot accurately the better.

I am not any expert on early versus late so maybe somebody else will say a few words.

One way to look at it is that this Fall is a training run and you will be happy just to get out and hunt and kill something with horns.

On Google Earth find Bates Creek Reservoir. Use the road that runs east from there that is about 1100 yards away from the creek. It is up on the rim. When you hit the eastern unit boundary turn south and circle the basin. There is a road down the power line that will tear up your truck if you are not careful. There will be a lot of antelope down in the creek bottom

If you should come at it from the south by using Highway 487 instead of using Bates Creek Road, there are antelope in the flats once you get inside the fence of the the Muddy Mountain hunting area. They will range on up to the top of that hill.

If you see antelope, do not stop the truck until you are out of sight.

I have a question for you Wyoming guys. Do any of you know what the southern part of the state looks like as far as moisture and how the antelope are doing? We drew unit 57 and I know they had some winter kill but I was wondering what the conditions were down there and how it looked. Thanks

I haven't been down there yet but have covered several units in the central part of the state and horns are noticably larger than average. I have seen some really nice ones. Some of our reservoirs that have been nearly dry for years are now about full from all the rain here.

The winter in south central and sw wyo was terrible. We lost a lot of deer and antelope. You were extremely fortunate to draw a tag since they cut the tags by 75% there this year. That is the worst drop in tags I can remember so the biologists surveys must have shown a slaughter in that area. If I get down there I will let you know. We run right through 57 on our trips to Colorado.

Info for all you guys who drew wyoming for anything this year. With all the rain and great pastures we went looking for antlered game yesterday to see what they looked like. It is awesome what fantastic feed does for antlers. Saw numerous 24"-26" bucks with high well developed forks with a few high 20's and two in one bunch well over 30". Overall the antlers look better developed than I have seen in quite some time. Saw two really nice 6x6 bull elk that were very well formed for their age. Saw two bull moose over 50" and that is huge category for a shiras. The animals just look all fat and sleek. From what I saw I was very impressed and think it will be a great year. And yes all these animals were on public land.

LTLR, Thanks for the update. I really did not expect to draw and was surprised when we did. We were prepared to draw and have set aside time to spend there and look for some good bucks. I plan on having 10 days to spend out there at the first of the season and may go back if that is what it takes. I have exchanged notes with a guy that lives in Baggs and he says it is looking good down there in 57. We hunted 53 in 2005 and had a great time and saw some really good bucks. If I can ever help you out with Kansas info let me know and I will do my best to return the favor.

I have hunted 57 or 53 every year I could draw a tag for 30 years. I have taken several B&C bucks out of there with the largest being 87 5/8. 57 is the best trophy unit in the state and that is why it is almost impossible to draw, even for a resident. Nonresidents who started right off the bat with prefferrence points will be getting their tags over the next couple of years but after that it will be almost impossible because so many people will be back in the pot trying to draw. In other words this year it takes 3, next 4, next 5 and so on and people getting on board now have a long wait because they can never catch up. I would get there before the season and do a lot of riding and walking to find a monster. Then be camped on him opening morning before they get scattered. You can get a B&C out of that unit that way.

Just spent 6 days over in area 53 and the antelope were hit hard by the long cold winter. Of the 25 licenses available my wife and I each drew one (luck) but it isn't going to be like previous years - its going to take a lot of work and miles to find a quality animal. I've hunted that area for 20 years and have never seen it this bad.

We drew Wyoming deer tags

Myself and 2other LRH members drew region R deer tags, all together 6 of us drew the region R tags. We all also put in for doe/fawn tags; none of us drew any doe/fawn tags. This area usually has doe tags left-over. I wonder what happened this year???:confused:

However, I not complaining at least we drew the buck tags. Heck with all the promising antelope reports as far as horn growth, I might have to get a left-over tag in my sleeper area which still has several tags left after the draw.:)

Len . looking forward to hunting with you and the rest of the SPer's this fall. interesting that the grass is that much taller and shooting prone may be a problem. an item I used two years ago was the stoney point with the third leg attached and a support arm attached as well. i bought a trek walking stick at the local sporting goods store while in Casper, it has a tripod leg system on it. may try to set it up with a support so it could be used as a gun rest as well.
look forward to seeing that 6.5 WSM in action as well.
I will bring my fox pro caller as well, see if we can call up a yote or two!!\
nmhunter

If not prone, I'll be using a tall Harris and a short camera tripod for a rear support. Don't want to shoot sitting but it may be necessary.

I live in Casper would love to meet up with those of you who are near here hunting this fall. If interested, please PM me and I'll get you my contact info.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.