I need your advise on a build

I agree, but then what would I do with this pile of crap 7mm mag? It will shoot two holes touching then one flyer 4-6 inches away. Then two touching somewhere else. Then another flyer. I thought it was a bad scope but no such luck. Plus a new build and load development gives me something to do.

This is just me but I'd make sure the barrel is free-floating and action bedded (if you have not done so already). Turning it into a Remage DIY project is another consideration.

Good luck!

I'm a Rem fan also this RR action is the worst one I've got or loaded for.
It's no secret Remingtons have had poor primary extraction but whatever the reason these new RR ones are worse.
Do some research you'll find plenty of complaints.
What is a RR action?

Don't stress if you have an rr. I have a 308, 6.5-284, 6.5cm and 28 nos with rr actions and they function and shoot great.
I havent got any complaints about the way it shoots just be aware I'm not the only one who is having this problem.
If you get one that's as bad as mine you just get the handle repositioned by a Smith who knows what there doing, mines get it done.
Will I buy another one, probably but I will be aware that it might have to get it done.

I havent got any complaints about the way it shoots just be aware I'm not the only one who is having this problem.
If you get one that's as bad as mine you just get the handle repositioned by a Smith who knows what there doing, mines get it done.
Will I buy another one, probably but I will be aware that it might have to get it done.
Issues seem to get blown up on the forums, so I just wanted him to know they aren't all bad. Not targeting you Sherm

Issues seem to get blown up on the forums, so I just wanted him to know they aren't all bad. Not targeting you Sherm
I'm just warning people there is an issue, like I said I'm a Rem fan.
Here is a thread that was on accurateshooter that addresses this.
Rustystud is a good Smith he knows what hes talking about. Screenshot_20191208-072739_Chrome.jpg

I'm just warning people there is an issue, like I said I'm a Rem fan.
Here is a thread that was on accurateshooter that addresses this.
Rustystud is a good Smith he knows what hes talking about.View attachment 161764
I agree. I was on that site for years and both those guys are well thought of. I'd be curious to see what Alex wheeler thinks of them.

I'm not speaking for Alex but I think he is of the feeling that if you want to make a 700 better might as well go custom.
Theres alot of work if you want a 700 to operate smooth, fix the primary extraction, get rid of the cock on close ect.
I think Defiance has a good deal with the tenacity if you wanna get rid of alot of the 700 problems.

I guess what really chaps me is how bad the primary extraction is there is zero.
Remington surely could figure out something to get it closer.

Here we go. Someone else said the the end use defines the build. You said longer range elk. If the bolt face on the 7MM is the same as 300 RUM, my vote would be for
338 Edge. Have them throat the chamber to shoot 285 - 300 grain bullets and make sure they give you a magazine that will accept the long bullets. Good 300 RUM cases abound and the cartridge has a reputation for being accurate. Mine shoots less than half an inch MOA with 285 grain Barnes LRX.
As usual, my opinion and two dollars might buy you a cup of coffee.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.