I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)

Some great advise has been givin you!! If you think throwing $$ at long range will get you where you want to be your ****in in the wind BTDT Rebarreling is a bandaid that will have you backing up! The best money you can spend at this point is with a good class with a good instructor and putting rounds through the smaller rounds.
Long way around the barn but it boils down to there is a whole lot to learn, you didnt learn to run before you walked.

Yes Sir, I'm already working on the instruction.

Sorry if you didnt like how I said it but its still sound advise. The 6.5-284,7mag and 7WSM see a lot more action then my 338Edge does. The biggest thing the Edge has going for it inside 1500 yards (other than it got the best scope on it) is energy=Paper and rocks dont care:D
By all means get the best equipment you can afford but dont let it take the place of practice and knowledge.

Sorry if you didnt like how I said it but its still sound advise. The 6.5-284,7mag and 7WSM see a lot more action then my 338Edge does. The biggest thing the Edge has going for it inside 1500 yards (other than it got the best scope on it) is energy=Paper and rocks dont care:D
By all means get the best equipment you can afford but dont let it take the place of practice and knowledge.

No offense, please realize I'm just getting started and I want to ensure I bypass buying the incorrect equipment. I figured that I'd come on here and ask guys that have already mastered it or at least would advise me what not to do. I really thought long and hard about purchasing the Gun Werks setup complete but rationalized I had one really nice base rifle already in the stable, I just need to accessorize and fine tune it. I have not even remotely got my 300 Weatherby worked up yet but think it has potentiaL. The 6.5 x 284 has only 12 rounds through it but I have done my research on it already. I'm looking to keep it under 1000 yards and will use it as my primary practice rifle. Down the road I want to build a 50 BMG or 416??? But figured I'd better finish what projects I already have started before moving forward with that project.

Heck when I started getting serios about long range I bought a 50BMG and tryed to hit prairie dogs @ 2200 yards. Put the fear of god intoem....for literly miles around but between the recoil,heat and reload it was difficult to practice much with it. Buying a 375-50BMG was a testimonial to the fact that you cant miss them fast enough:D A 250 grain Barns @ 5150fps might have realy tore up a prairie dog IF I could have actually hit one.
Hence my advise to use something to practice with that you WILL practice with. A good class 30 years ago would have saved me a lot of time and $$ as its been a slow curve and still learning. Something else to add to the list=A good spotter.
I use to think the cost of the gunworks setup(or something like it) was way too expensive to consider but I bet I have twice that much into it trying to get it done cheaper.

I decided to get into the long range game two years ago when I was on a mule deer hunt in Wy. (live in Indiana) I had a buck somewhere in the 180-200" range at 650yds and couldnt take the shot because I knew the rifle I had was not set up for it and I didn't feel comfortable with it. There was no way to get closer so we sat there and watched him and his buddy which was probably around 140 -150" for over an hour.

When I got home I started my quest for long range information, found this site read about 1000 post to decide what cal. to go with finally decided on 7mm rem mag. (yes it has limitations) but for a dedicated deer/antelope rifle for me
it was the best choice. I found a smith close got lucky there who I thought could build me what I wanted. After we set down and talked he had a few suggestion we built my rifle. I put a nightforce on top of it $2400.00 was a hard pill to swallow but I DO NOT regret it. Last time I shot a few weeks ago before are deer season started I shot an honest 2.75" group at 800 yds I think I am about ready to start workin towards 1000. Was it hard to let go of $5300.for a gun yes was it worth it Hell yes because it's better to spend it once on equipment that will do what you want at least for me so that when
you do all that practice you know you are using something that is capable, so the majority of the missed shots and large groups are shooter error and not the equipment.

The only other thing I have to say is **** that Broz, now I gotta build a new 300 win mag and get some 215 bergers. You can't argue with 19 and 0.:rolleyes: Sorry for the long rant just my .02, I'm countin the days till Sept. got 3pp for deer and antelop. Might have to call Broz for a guide with his record.

Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.