I need help with new dies...School me

TimeOnTarget

I'm building a new 6.5x284 rifle. I've always just used standard RCBS or Redding dies and am set on redding for the brand.

But which reddings are making my head spin. I believe I want to use a competition seating die and maybe an S bushing FL sizing die. How do you go about choosing a bushing? After firing the cases one time I believe I will want to take out the expander ball and just use the decapping pin retainer that comes with them correct?

This should help with bullet run out?

If I should be looking elsewhere, point me there please!

Thanks for the schooling fellas.

Depends on what your brass you are using and the neck thickness.

I use Lapua brass in mine and turn it to where it's .0145 thick. From there you go .0145 x 2 = .029. Then add the bullet thickness. .029 + .264 = .293. This will be the OD of your loaded round. Subtract the amount of neck tension you want to run from this number. If you want to run .002 of tension, insert a .291 bushing.

There is an alternative to this though. I actually use a .290 bushing, then I use an expander mandrel that expands up about .001 to give me .002 tension. If you customer order a .002 tension mandrel (Or whatever tension you want) the bushing size really doesn't matter that much as long as it is safely under, say .289, .290 or even .288. The size of the mandrel is based on a constant factor of bullet diameter, instead of bullet plus brass neck thickness. You don't have to know what brass you want to use this way really.

It seems that decapping as a seperate step is generally considered best practice to reduce runout...according to a lot of the BR guys anyway. Probably doesn't matter for hunting purposes. I suppose none of this makes enough difference on average to effect necessary hunting accuracy.

Last edited:

I use Lapua brass in mine and turn it to where it's .0145 thick. From there you go .0145 x 2 = .029. Then add the bullet thickness. .029 + .264 = .293. This will be the OD of your loaded round. Subtract the amount of neck tension you want to run from this number. If you want to run .002 of tension, insert a .291 bushing.

There is an alternative to this though. I actually use a .290 bushing, then I use an expander mandrel that expands up about .001 to give me .002 tension. If you customer order a .002 tension mandrel (Or whatever tension you want) the bushing size really doesn't matter that much as long as it is safely under. .289, .290 or even .288. The size of the mandrel is based on a constant factor of bullet diameter, instead of bullet plus brass neck thickness. You don't have to know what brass you want to use this way really.

It seems that decapping as a seperate step is generally considered best practice to reduce runout...according to a lot of the BR guys anyway. Probably doesn't matter for hunting purposes. I suppose none of this makes enough difference on average to effect necessary hunting accuracy.

Thanks CNM but Whoa!! TBH, a good portion of that went right over my head.

I use lapua brass and don't neck turn. So could I just take the outside case diameter and subtract the desired neck tension? Is .002 standard neck tension? This is going to be a hunting rifle as well as ringing steel often.

There is an alternative to this though. I actually use a .290 bushing, then I use an expander mandrel that expands up about .001 to give me .002 tension. If you customer order a .002 tension mandrel (Or whatever tension you want) the bushing size really doesn't matter that much as long as it is safely under. .289, .290 or even .288. The size of the mandrel is based on a constant factor of bullet diameter, instead of bullet plus brass neck thickness. You don't have to know what brass you want to use this way really.

My method exactly, gives great and consistent accuracy with sorted bullets and proper load development. Clear and concise reply by Clucknmoan.

To be accurate you will have to at least measure the neck thickness in a few spots and get an average. I can tell you that mine usually runs from .0145 to .016 in thickness.

So if your measured like mine does, you could take an average of .015, multiply that by 2 and you have .030, add the bullet diameter of .264 and you have .294

So of you wanted 2 thou, order a .292, 3 thou a .291, 4 thou a .290.

I'd order them from .289 to about .293 just to be safe and then you have different tensions to play with.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.