I Need help finding brass for 6.5 rem mag that I'm building

LK hunter, I have some 6.5 rem .ag brass and so.e 350 rem mag brass I'd give you for shipping. Probably in the neighborhood of a hundred pieces. They're twice fired out of my remi grin 673's, and I load nothing hot or even at max loads, so it's still real good brass. All remington, so it's yours if you want it.

I too did a 260 REM build. I buy from, and use Starline brass both for the 260 and my 6.5 Creedmoor. Quality has been spot on and they make the small rifle primer brass for the creed

Hello lkhunte,
First of all congratulations on that fine Bull! Next, trying to be strictly logical here: I have owned a 6.5 Remington magnum since a year before common distribution. you have informed us you have a long action for this rifle, but did not specify the diameter of the boltface, although I am assuming it's a magnum. If you already have a 6.5 x 284, you wil almost certainly be disappointed by the performance you hope to gain from the 6.5 Remington magnum. I have owned both many years. Magnum brass, when you start pushing that case to perform better than your 6.5x 284 will really prove to be a challenge. With the trouble youare going to go through to obtain this brass, you will want to keep it a long time, and you surely won't, giving the pressures you will surely be attaining in order to achieve velocities that exceed the 6.5x 284.
Might I make this suggestion? After decades with the 6.5's I converted a rifle to 6.5 Sherman, a standard bolt faced weapon with ballistics 10 per cent better than my 6.5x 284's; that's 300 fps. Plus you get the advantages of an extra cartridge in the magazine, velocity of a magnum and also using ten to fourteen grains less powder per shot, assuming the right powder. All you would have to do is contact Elkaholic and you would be way "ahead of the game" by only swapping your present bolt and keeping your existing action, a pretty simple thing to do, while reaping some significant advantages.

Take Care, and good luck.

Wildcat westerner

Thanks I'll see what I can learn from him although this one I am putting on a long action

I have rebarreled 2 long action belted magnums to 6.5 rem mag. 1 for me with a 26" Douglas 1/8 and one for a friend with a 26" Shilen 1/9

The advantage to the long action is that you can seat those long 6.5 bullets way out there and not intrude on your case volume

My load using RL17 is shooting a 130 gr Scirrocco II at 3175 fps with single digit extreme spread velocity and really smacks the hell out of game.

Solve the brass issue and you will not be disappointed

ZvE6Ijrl.jpg

Last edited:
I have rebarreled 2 long action belted magnums to 6.5 rem mag. 1 for me with a 26" Douglas 1/8 and one for a friend with a 26" Shilen 1/9

The advantage to the long action is that you can seat those long 6.5 bullets way out there and not intrude on your case volume

My load using RL17 is shooting a 130 gr Scirrocco II at 3175 fps with single digit extreme spread velocity and really smacks the hell out of game.

Solve the brass issue and you will not be disappointed

ZvE6Ijrl.jpg
Thanks i look forward to getting some rounds down range with it I'm thinking of trying eldx or accubond long range

Hello lkhunte,
First of all congratulations on that fine Bull! Next, trying to be strictly logical here: I have owned a 6.5 Remington magnum since a year before common distribution. you have informed us you have a long action for this rifle, but did not specify the diameter of the boltface, although I am assuming it's a magnum. If you already have a 6.5 x 284, you wil almost certainly be disappointed by the performance you hope to gain from the 6.5 Remington magnum. I have owned both many years. Magnum brass, when you start pushing that case to perform better than your 6.5x 284 will really prove to be a challenge. With the trouble youare going to go through to obtain this brass, you will want to keep it a long time, and you surely won't, giving the pressures you will surely be attaining in order to achieve velocities that exceed the 6.5x 284.
Might I make this suggestion? After decades with the 6.5's I converted a rifle to 6.5 Sherman, a standard bolt faced weapon with ballistics 10 per cent better than my 6.5x 284's; that's 300 fps. Plus you get the advantages of an extra cartridge in the magazine, velocity of a magnum and also using ten to fourteen grains less powder per shot, assuming the right powder. All you would have to do is contact Elkaholic and you would be way "ahead of the game" by only swapping your present bolt and keeping your existing action, a pretty simple thing to do, while reaping some significant advantages.

Take Care, and good luck.

Wildcat westerner
Wildcat westerner thanks for your input my actiom is from a 7mm mag which is already correct and has the barrel already installed i just need to do a little work on the stock to fit the barrel I have yet to prove it but the way I think since my 6.5x284 is one with a slow twist and doesn't stabilize high BC slugs I'll be ahead on account of a longer barrel and faster twist- time will teĺl -

LK hunter, I have some 6.5 rem .ag brass and so.e 350 rem mag brass I'd give you for shipping. Probably in the neighborhood of a hundred pieces. They're twice fired out of my remi grin 673's, and I load nothing hot or even at max loads, so it's still real good brass. All remington, so it's yours if you want it.
Hadjii that sounds like a good deal to me I'll gladly pay shipping

Black hill has 6.5 rem brass just got 250 case a few moth ago. You need a Ffl to order from them.

Rem 700 rock creek 28
147 eld m
Win lr
Rl 23
Full worked case

3030 FPS single digets Es. Only shot to 500 so far 2 1/2 inches..

Hope that helps

Hadjii that sounds like a good deal to me I'll gladly pay shipping
No problem. It's been sitting in my footlocker for 3-4 years. I believe I've resized it, but I'm sure you'd want to rerun it. If I can figure out how to private message you, I'll send you my email.

During themed-1960s - I bought one of the early Rem 600s chambered for their 6.5mm magnum round. I shot everything from groundhogs, to ants, to deer. And it was accurate with everything from the 87gr HP to the 120gr factory round.

A 26" barrel would have likely produced 25% more velocity, but the confidence I built with that rifle out-of-the-box with reloads - money couldn't buy!

But both brass and ammo were difficult commodities to come by back then, and it's no different today - so I've never tried to recreate that memory, but I still like Remington's 60s-era creation.

So - do the work and do it right - and you will likely be rewarded, because all of the components available today are much better than they were - more-than 50 years ago!

Remembering - just like boats, every caliber is a compromise. And it's not what you shoot, but where you hit that really matters!

I have a matched pair of Model 700 BDL in a a 6.5 Rem Mag and .350 Rem Mag and and M700 Classic .350 Rem Mag. Love me all, but I'm thinking of building a 6.5 SAUM with a fast twist barrel on a Mauser action. That way I can seat bullets out further to utilize case capacity. Anyway if you still have the brass, I'd like to have it. If you want to get ahold of I'll send you my email or phone number to work out details.