I need a stock

HOGGHEAD

I am having a 22-250 built. I ordered a 28 inck heavy Krieger barrel for the build. I bought a 700 Remington(with the HS Precision Varmint Stock) for the build. I was planning on using the Left Handed HS stock for the build. The smith I was using measured the barrel and said it would fit in the stock. Now it turns out the barrel is too large for the stock. So I need a new stock(this is not the fault of the curent smith doing the work). Does any one have any recommendations on a stock I could use for a LH Short action 700 Remington action with a heavy Krieger barrel?? I would really like to find a thumbhole stock?? Thanks, Tom.

Joel Russo

Take a look at Joels stocks. He has a couple thumb holes to choose form.

Look him up on this board and PM him.

Great customer service.

I am having a 22-250 built. I ordered a 28 inck heavy Krieger barrel for the build. I bought a 700 Remington(with the HS Precision Varmint Stock) for the build. I was planning on using the Left Handed HS stock for the build. The smith I was using measured the barrel and said it would fit in the stock. Now it turns out the barrel is too large for the stock. So I need a new stock(this is not the fault of the curent smith doing the work). Does any one have any recommendations on a stock I could use for a LH Short action 700 Remington action with a heavy Krieger barrel?? I would really like to find a thumbhole stock?? Thanks, Tom.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not remove a little material from the hs precision ? -I have three of them and have removed materail from the barrel channel -no problem...

Use a socket w/ sandpaper wrapped around it -tape off the outside of the forearm right to the edge of the barrel channel and customize it to fit...

Barrel Channel

My gunsmith said that he would have to take out too much material to make the barrel fit. He said there would be less than .010 of material left at the end of the stock. And he said the finish on the stock is more than .010 thick. Tom.

New Stock

We ordered a new stock today from Manners Stock company. It is an ambi. thumbhole style stock. the model ia a GAT. I hope it works out. If anybody is interestd in the old Remingotn stock the gunsmith is going to keep it. His name is RHYS, his shop is in Wyoming. You can find his information on the VHA web site. Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.